only her 3rd egg and she didn't want me to have it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunket77, Aug 31, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    My production red laid her 3rd egg this morning. I was in the pen so I watched her lay it and instead of getting out of the box or singing a song she just sat there. I was ready to inside so I reached in to get it and she didn't want me to take it! She tried to peck at me! My barred Rock was also waiting her turn for the nest box (my only 2 laying so far) even though there are 4 to choose from and she wouldn't get out, so I just picked her up and took her out. Could she want to brood already? I thought production reds would not go broody easy?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Nah...I bet she was just resting. [​IMG]

How cool though to be able to watch her. Mine have a melt down when someone disturbs the laying process.

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    altho I do have a little japanese who went broody after a mere two weeks of laying, and then 4 times since in her mere 15 months, I would bet your hen was just savoring her accomplishment, and didnt want to give it up just yet!

My guess is she is fine! lol! Fiesty tho! My kind of chicken!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some of my birds lay in the nest boxes for a little while after they lay their eggs.

5. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    thanks guys! I guess she just wasn't ready to give it up yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by