only keeping one rooster...how do you choose?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AmpersatChick, Aug 16, 2013.

1. AmpersatChick

AmpersatChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    Out of our 11 first ever chicks, 2 turned out to be roosters. We are allowed to keep whatever we want but only want to keep one. So far both are healthy and nice to us and our kids, not too aggressive. There is a clear leader out of the two. Just wondering if there are any tips for choosing a keeper? Our intention is to send one to freezer camp and keep one to hatch chicks one day if that helps as far as tips go. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Our SLW Roo Chick "Woman"

[​IMG]
    Our GLW Roo "Duck"

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Personally, I go with coloring and personality. If you like them both, I would go with the one who shows the best rooster skills: keeping the hens together, warning of danger, letting them know where the food is, etc.
    Good luck, they're both very handsome [​IMG]

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I would use the following criteria:

1. Aggression. Don't keep an aggressive roo. That includes cockerels that come up to you and demand to be petted--that's basically aggression.

2. Personality. Is he good to the hens? Does he dance for them, or just grab them by the head and mate them? Remember, though, any cockerel will be clumsy at mating at first and may not always dance until he gets older.

3. Adherence to type. Look up the Standard of Perfection of the breed. See how closely they adhere.

4. Looks. Pretty is as pretty does, but looks are very important in a rooster in my book. Since he's not making eggs, he has to at least be eye candy.

5. What does your gut say? Listen to it.

If possible, keep both until they are at least 20+ weeks old so you'll know a little bit about their adult personality. Good luck choosing!

4. AmpersatChick

Jan 22, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    Thank you both, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Very helpful!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    The reasons I would choose a good rooster would be:
    1. Personality-you don't want to end up with a mean aggressive rooster.
    2. Protecting the hens- make sure your roo is protective over the hens, but now aggressive to you.
    3. Looks- Which you think looks the prettiest and most stylish.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
  7. AmpersatChick

Jan 22, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by