Only laying in one nesting box....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 10layingladies, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 10layingladies

10layingladies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    I have ten hens who all want to lay in the same nesting box....there are three boxes in the chicken coop but they all go to the same one. Anything I can do to encouraged them to use the other two so there's not such a risk of them breaking the eggs?

2. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

throw a couple of golf balls or some wooden eggs (from the craft store) in the other nest boxes and empty the one they're laying in often. It might encourage them to spread out a bit. It's not unusual for them to lay in one box though. Are you experiencing a lot of broken eggs?

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  3. 10layingladies

10layingladies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks! I'll try that. I have plenty of golf balls laying around:) So far we've had at least one a day that's broken. We got our first egg on July 9th and just this week we can safely say they are all laying (9 eggs collected yesterday) so I want to discourage this as quickly as possible while they're still new to laying.

4. Chew593

I have 10 hens... 5 nest boxes... and they all lay in just 2 of them. Enjoy, and Good Luck!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's nature. They want their DNA in the "clutch" in case someone broods them.

10 hens in one hen pen, three boxes, and 90% of the time? You guessed it. All in one box. I stopped being concerned about it a long time ago. [​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    What's really funny is when one is in the box and another one wants in and starts squawking. I guess they know how to get me to the barn, it sounds like something is attacking them.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Ain't it the truth!!! The only "egg song" we get around here is not the layer bragging, but another standing outside the one and only, special, we ALL must use it box, squawking like there is a bear in the coop. Geeeeeeez.

8. Chew593

[​IMG] You got that right. They can be feisty when the box already has 2 hens in it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Have the same problem.

Fred's Hens :

Quote:Ain't it the truth!!! The only "egg song" we get around here is not the layer bragging, but another standing outside the one and only, special, we ALL must use it box, squawking like there is a bear in the coop. Geeeeeeez.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by