Only Leghorns missing back feathers hmmm edited they are SLW

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tntchix, Nov 16, 2014.

1. All 5 of our Silver Leghorns are missing quite a few feathers on their back right before the tail.

My question is: Why would it be only one of my several breeds in a flock of 28 hens 2 roos? What am I missing?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Do any of the feathers appear stripped or broken? Usually when only a select few of my girls are missing feathers, especially on their backs, those are the ones that the roos have been paying more "attention" to. You shouldn't have major problems with over-breeding with your hen/roo ratio, however it is common for roos to pick their "favorites." 28 to 2 is a pretty good number. [​IMG]

3. No stripped or broken ones. Just gone.

We just got the new roos and they seem rather gentle. The one before, that was a bantam we culled. He was a jerk towards me, but not rough on the girls. I had used Blukote on a couple of hens before when I thought maybe the rooster was being rough but then we culled him and there was no rooster at all for a while and they were still losing feathers. I see no bugs, (mites/lice) but being a new chicken mama not exactly sure what I'm looking for so there's that. I just don't want to miss some kind of infection or infestation as we go into winter and lose them.

4. No bugs, YAY. I resprayed them all with blukote (hence the purple fingers) and I think I might know the culprit. Keeping watch...

5. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Good! Sorry for the delayed response. My next piece of advice would have been to check for bugs (mites, lice etc.). Pay close attention to the areas under the wings and around the vent area. Those little things seem to congregate in those areas, so if you have them, you'll most likely see them there. If you don't have any infestations or injuries, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye out and keep us posted! [​IMG]

6. Thanks, I will update in a few days. I'm hoping not to have to remove the problem as it is freezing and would rather they snuggled together to stay warm.

7. sorry for the delay in reporting back but I wanted to give it some time and check a few things.

My original post is kinda wrong, the girls are Silver Laced Wyandottes, not Silver Lehorns - hatchery mistake. How I missed it for so long...[​IMG]

Update is feathers are growing back finally. I keep them blukoted so no one picks at the new ones. I think I may have an answer besides being the roosters fav girls, when scratch is tossed in the run, sometimes it ends up on their backs and the others pick it off. That has been stopped. So no new injuries since.[​IMG]

8. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Ah, Wyandottes, one of my favorite heavies. I actually ordered five BLR Wyandottes and ended up with five EEs intead. The hatcheries must be getting a little careless or something. Glad to hear they are improving. I'd love to see some pictures sometime! [​IMG]

9. Thanks, I love them too. my dd keeps singing "silver and gold, silver and gold, wyandottes.... [​IMG]
    Let me get through Christmas first and I'll take some newer pics for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by