Only lost one pint of blood building this....Crazy Newbie Chicken Lady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lady Klucks, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Lady Klucks

Lady Klucks Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Kissimmee, FL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello everyone....I must be having a mid life crisis.... decided to get hens and we built this in one day..... of course my husband helped.... actually I think he did most of the work...any advice from experienced chicken Mom's and Dad's would be very helpful.....We live in Central Florida. Looking forward to getting the girls once we are convinced we have done everything we can to keep them healthy, safe and happy.

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Looks to me like you (and your husband[​IMG]) did a good job! As a former Floridian, I know you'll do fine with such an open design. Be sure to stop in on the Florida state thread, lots of friendly members there. To find it, just do a search for Florida State Thread and it should pop up.

Thanks for joining us and best of luck to you!

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Lady Klucks [​IMG] Welcome!

One day and only one pint of blood .. job well done! [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - looks like a mighty fine coop / run to me! Well done hubby (oops, sorry, I meant you [​IMG])

Best wishes
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!! Looks great!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lady Klucks, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! Great looking chicken house! :thumbsup. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

8. Lady Klucks

Lady Klucks Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Kissimmee, FL
    Thank you everyone....it was fun but exhausting building this beast..... Now I will decide on what breeds to get......any suggestions? We get extremely hot days here so I definitely want heat hardy hens, maybe Australorps? I am so nervous about predators I have printed out a calendar with twilight/sunrise/sunset times....my amazing husband has agreed to be on lookout duty....My fifteen year old son is a night owl so he gets to be the night watchman...I am definitely having a mid life crisis.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    possibly asking on your state thread will be a good place to start. A lot depends on whether you want your flock for egg production, meat, a combo and many other variables. The breeds section is also useful.

10. Lady Klucks

Lady Klucks Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Kissimmee, FL
    Good evening BYC family....just wanted to send out a quick thank you to all of you for your kind words....We decided on 4 Black Australorp hens and we couldn't be happier...We picked them up late yesterday afternoon and they quickly settled in on the roost for the night.... We had an opossum visitor... totally my fault, left kale in the run... checked the hardware cloth for digging.... nothing. We went to bed and I slept two hours... kept going out to check on them... they were perfectly fine... wish my heart thought the same. This morning I went out and I was greeted by the picture I will attach... they are so funny...I am in total love. Three of the four laid eggs this afternoon, the other is only 20 weeks, so her time will come. I let them out in their play area for an hour and they pecked and ate bugs, grass and more bugs. Once again, they put themselves to bed at 6:00 and its been quiet... except for Mr. Raccoon, he paid them a visit, but was discouraged by all the hardware cloth my awesome husband laid down as an apron...I am a firm believer the hardware cloth will keep my girls safe... So enjoy my pictures and thanks again![​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by