Only one chic hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scooterworm, Oct 18, 2016.

1. scooterworm

scooterworm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    Gillsville, Georgia
    We had 4 eggs under our broody hen and only one hatched. We were hoping for at least 2 so they could enjoy each others company in the brooder. Will it be harder to introduce a chic to the flock after it's been in the brooder by itself for several weeks?

2. monkton flock

monkton flock New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Monkton, VT
    Were all the fertilized eggs laid at the same time? I incubated 7 eggs this past summer; they were each laid one day apart because I only had one hen and one rooster. Out of those 7 eggs, 4 hatched and it took a whole week. It possible that yours will take more time, a few more days. If you hen has given up on them, you might consider moving them to your incubator if you can have it set up and warmed up before you put the eggs in there.

3. Honora

Honora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Was there some reason why you didn't leave it with the hen to raise? You wouldn't have to worry about integrating it with the flock if it's being raised by the hen.

4. scooterworm

Aug 16, 2016
    Gillsville, Georgia
    Yes.... we have cats outside. They don't bother them once they get a couple of months old but they're licking their lips at the little one.

5. scooterworm

Aug 16, 2016
    Gillsville, Georgia
    Yes the hen stopped sitting today.... but I'll heat the incubator up and give it a shot. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by