only one chick has hatched, not sure what to do???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abibaby83, May 15, 2009.

1. abibaby83

abibaby83 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    I have a small hobby flock with roosters. Haven't had eggs hatch before, I let some of my hens get broody and have discovered a baby chick in with my hen. She has one other egg that she is sitting on, (I am going to candle it tonight to see if I can see if there is a chick in it.) In the mean time I want to make sure the live chick does have a chance. Not thinking I should take it away from mom, I have no other chicks for it to incubate and snuggle with. So... my main question is how do I make sure that the baby eats and drinks if the mom isn't coming out because of the other egg? I have a community barn with only a few nesting boxes and that is where the mom and baby are now. Is this okay or should I separate them? thanks so much for any help you are able to provide. [​IMG]

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    The baby will be okay for a day or two with no feed or water. They still have some yolk in there to live off of.

3. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

If you leave baby with mom you can put chick starter and a chick water-er under an upside down box with an opening big enough for baby to get in, but not the adult chickens. That said, I'd bring baby in. Mom will keep it warm, yeah, but with other roosters and hens and all around, I'd be paranoid.

4. abibaby83

abibaby83 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    I really appreciate such prompt responses. I am perfectly fine with bringing the baby in, like you said I will worry. Will one baby be okay all by it's self with a lamp, food and water? Thanks again!![​IMG]

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    It will not thrive much. They're social animals. I'd leave it with mama till you are sure the other egg will or won't hatch. You should probably try to move mama, egg and chick to a separate location from your others.

6. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If I were you I would seperate the chick even if it is alone because the other hens CAN and might attack and possibly kill the chick. My first hatch of the year was alone for a week and we have a special bond because of it (The chick on my avatar, although now he is bigger and has more feathers now [​IMG]) Then after that week alone his siblings still hadnt hatched so I bought six chicks from a feed store and at 1rst he didnt go near them then the next day he was fine with them and still comes over to me every time I wiggle my fingers and say his name (Cedar: because he likes wood shavings) . Also just to add, the day after I bought those chicks I had chicks hatching every day for a few days [​IMG] LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by