only one chick hatched.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teresagarner, Jul 20, 2011.

1. teresagarner

teresagarner New Egg

Dec 5, 2010
    only one egg hatched..How do I keep her alive ? I know that chicks do better in groups.The egg is from an incubator and I own female chickens , but it is so hot outside (90's to 100's ).I'm afraid to put it out side.Plus i'm not sure if the female (or male) will accept it. Can I raise her alone ?

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    How long has it been since she hatched and are you sure there are no more to hatch?

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I would go buy another day old from a local farmer to put in with her. If you look on Craigslist or on the bulletin at your local grain store you may have some luck. Keep the age within a few days so they are on equal ground as far as development. Good luck!!

4. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I don't know about the hens accepting it, but I also have a single chick that I was unable to find another friend for. And either way I just couldn't justify a 4 hour drive or $50 so the chick would have a friend. I tried all the farms and local craigslist and still couldn't find any.
    Anyway, he's 2 weeks old now and so far doing great. He's not even that loud. He was scared the first few days, but he's calmed down alot since then. I put a soft towel in with him and he sleeps against it. And I keep the temperature just a bit warmer since he is alone.
    I do have 2 other chicks that are 6 weeks old, so eventually he will have company and I let him see them so he can learn what to do.
    I know its better to have more than one, but sometimes there isn't anything within reason that you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by