Only one chick hatched...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peterschick, Jan 6, 2014.

1. peterschick

peterschick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi there - new to this incubator thing. (When I was little and we had chickens - we just let the hens do their thing when it came to hatching chicks.)

We just got some chickens for the first time this fall and attempted hatching a few eggs that unexpectedly showed up in our hen house...

Only 2 pipped, and one chick didn't make it out [​IMG].
    The other one is doing great so far (it's been a day - I just put it in the brooder).
    Was wondering about imprinting and socialization...
    Should we bring one of our hens in to give it some company/imprint?

2. kazoo1111

kazoo1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Ahhhh, poor chick when we hatched ducks only one hatched and she grew up to be a real sweetie. As far as I know chickens don't imprint but as far as socialization whenever we only have one that hatches we usually go get it a buddy from Tractor Supply Co. or another place. If you have a broody hen sneak the chick under her or if you don't have a broody one see if a friendly hen will adapt her. Make sure you watch to see if the other chickens are picking on the baby.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The chick is likely already imprinted on you.

4. peterschick

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks - yes, was thinking of bringing the broody hen inside to stay with the chick inside the brooder - since it is supposed to get to 10 degrees tonight!

5. peterschick

Jan 5, 2014
    You may be right about the imprint... the chick was chirping alot - so I put my hand in the brooder and it jumped on and snuggled in... awwww....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by