Only One Chicken Left - Don't know what to do!!!! - Want to make her a house chicken - Don't Want he

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrps416, Nov 6, 2016.

1. BuffOrps416

BuffOrps416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Earlier today I found that one of my beloved girls got killed by a hawk/big bird. After looking for the second one for about an hour, she came out of her hiding place but I don't know what to do. I want her to be a house chicken now because I don't want her to have to be in the coop/run etc. by herself. What should I do? I know I need chicken diapers but how should I acclimate her into becoming a house chicken????? I don't want her to be lonely...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. BuffOrps416

I brought the chicken (Canela) inside and in my porch as well yesterday but the diapers aren't coming for a while so she is in the coop right now. I was going to stay by her side when she went into the run, but she came out of the coop and then went back in. She drank some water and ate some food but she just kind of stands there on a small log in the coop and looks out the window. She was preening herself a little and ate all the sunflower seeds I brought her very happily/quickly but she isn't really doing anything. She stands with her chest feathers a bit puffed out and her head on them (not hanging her head down but just the feathers are touching her wattle), something similar to what I've seen my girls do when it is cold. At one point she was closing her eyes a bit and looked like she was going to fall asleep standing there or something. But, when I shook the food container she kind of shook her head and walked over to me.

Are these behaviors normal for a chicken who just lost her pal? Will it go away and what should I do now?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Just my opinion......Do as you want?

Your Chicken would be much happier with two more Hens/Pullets than becoming a House Bird.....The stress of the move will be hard...Adding other Birds will keep her happy with a more natural pecking order and still be in her home.....

Cheers!

5. BuffOrps416

Thanks! I managed to get her out of the coop and she has been inside since like 11 this morning. She was acting more normal inside and seems to think she is safer here. Later I am going to bring her inside and then she will sleep in the coop so that the change is a bit more gradual.

6. BuffOrps416

One of my other concerns is keeping her entertained enough. She has scratch, some lettuce I hung from the ceiling and a little roosting bar but still all she does is preen.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Honestly if you can get more Birds she will be far better off with Chickens than in your house......I am thinking it will get old real fast having a Chicken in diapers and all that Dust they make.....

Anyways....

Cheers!

8. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Give your girl a mirror if you can. And Google chicken toys. There's some very inexpensive ones you can make from recycled things like punching some holes in an old peanut butter jar and filling with treats. She will have to roll it around to get them. My little rooster also loves cat balls with bells in them. Good luck.

9. BuffOrps416

Thank you to everyone who responded! Also, she preens her self very often, I mean A LOT, is that bad?

10. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you check for mites/lice?
    To do this seperate her feathers around and below her vent and watch the skin for a bit. Mites you can usually see...lice is a !little harder so also look for clumps of eggs (whitish sticky clumps) attached at base of feathers.Is she still alone? If so she may be excessively preening out of boredom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by