1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only one duck hatched

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beepbeepinajeep, May 2, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I thought I could brood my chicks and the mallard together, but the chicks kept pecking him. So I have them separated, but every time the duck is alone now he is crying. I can't hold him constantly:/ He also bites constantly. It doesn't hurt now, but I imagine it will. He almost seems to be doing it affectionately...

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Maybe a small stuffed animal would help him. I had only one turkey hatch, so I went looking for a friend....brought home three. Be careful!![​IMG]

3. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Yes, DH already mentioned we should go out and find him a friend today:rolleyes: I just moved the chicks right next him... maybe that will help:)

4. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    what would be wrong with getting him a friend?

thats what I had to do, one of our hens(chicken) was sitting on two mallard eggs, they both hatched but the one baby didn't live, so I brought the live duckling(templeton) inside, now he/she and it's new buddy Elliot live together in a 10 gallon fish tank and are very happy.

unless you're prepared to spend 24/7 with him, he'll need something otherwise he could very well die from loneliness

5. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    We looked all over today for another duckling with no luck:( He is doing much better now that he can be close to the chicks. He is happy to be able to see the family too. No more crying. I will be on the lookout for a buddy for him though. Is it ok to find a different breed to put with him?

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    another breed would be fine, so long as theres not much of an age difference

7. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    When I have a single, I put a feather duster in with the baby. They like to snuggle up to the feathers. It seems to work.

8. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    That's a good idea:) We had no luck finding another duckling, but I have a towel that hangs & he snuggles in like it is a momma wing. He has done very well & loves the family.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I use a turkey feather duster and a mirror taped to the side of the brooder and also throw in a stuffed animal. This has worked for both of my solo ducks until I could find them friends.

10. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Great ideas:) He's a cute little guy... everyone is smitten with him. I am not looking forward to the more foul presents he will leave us as he gets bigger;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by