only one egg?

step2626

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
California
We got our first egg on Sunday and haven't seen any since. Is that normal? We have 7 hens and one roo.

i
It isn't abnormal - all it indicates is that one of your birds' systems is starting to try it's hand at egg production. When a new layer first starts out there can be some stops and starts, some odd eggs, etc. This bird will get things figured out and in the weeks ahead the rest of our girls will also begin to mature and lay.
How old are your birds?

Last edited:
Well to answer that question we need more info! How old are they and what breed are they? Do they free range? If they free range you might find a nest somewhere with a bunch of eggs in it!

They aren't free range. They are abt 6 months. We got the chicks at Easter. I fogot the type so I've added a photo.

Beautiful birds! Are they molting? What are you feeding them? If they are molting they will not lay. And you should be feeding them laying mash. I gave mine treats of oatmeal mixed with fruit or vegies every morning. 3 of them look like RIR or comets. They usually lay early and daily! Check for health issues, like worms if they don't start laying or being egg bound is another. And check all possible hiding places! Oh and make sure you don't have a sneaky predator getting the eggs before you do! The oatmeal treat helps egg production. But they should not be on oats alone! Get a bag of laying feed.

Last edited:
RIR that's right. They are eating the right feed with occasional fruit/veg treats as we have them. How do I check for worms or egg bound? Still haven't found any eggs since last week. And I'm not sure what molting looks like but there are a few feathers lying around.

Last edited:
RIR that's right. They are eating the right feed with occasional fruit/veg treats as we have them. How do I check for worms or egg bound? Still haven't found any eggs since last week. And I'm not sure what molting looks like but there are a few feathers lying around.
Have they ever been wormed? and as far as egg bound there is some information here on this site about it, you would be better off reading it. I have only read it about it here and never had to deal with it. Molting you will see a lot of feathers laying around, and you will need to give them something extra in their diet but for the life of me right now I can't remember what it is . I hate getting old. But you can find all the information here. Just hunt around. Sorry I wasn't much help today.

My red chickens are the same age as yours-they haven't started laying yet though, they probably have a little ways to go, and seeing as they're probably just starting out with the eggs it will be a little crazy scheduled with the eggs.

I have 5 hens and one rooster. Two weeks ago I was getting one egg a day. This past week I started getting 2 eggs a day. I bought mine Good Friday also. So I have probably 2 or 3 hens not laying yet. I think they all go on their own time....lol It is exciting looking for eggs everyday to see how many I have. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom