Only one hen laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bizzeeb60, Aug 25, 2008.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Alright, so one of my girls started laying eggs 22 days ago. I have gotten 14 eggs so far. (usually 1 for 2 days in a row then a day without).

So here is my confusion, I have 5 hens. All from the same hatch, same breed. They are now 7 1/2+ months old, is it normal for only one of them to be laying? I increased the laying mash when I found the first egg, and I know they are eating it (I bought a hanging feeder so I could tell how much they were eating) and they run to the feeder as soon as I add fresh in the mornings.

Any suggestions? [​IMG]:confused:

2. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Maybe you have a slow maturing breed? Or they are laying someplace else perhaps?

3. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    They are OEG/Wheaton mix (got them free, so was not really my choice for laying hens). They do not free range, they are in a 10 x 10 coop, I have checked under the nesting box and in every corner..no other eggs though.

Another curious thing is, she lays them in the middle of the day. When I go out in the morning to feed them, no egg. When I go out in the afternoon (usually between 3 & 4 pm) there is an egg.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your hens are certainly old enough. Do you have more than one nesting box? If not, try adding a second one.
    I have a hen that lays in the late afternoon every day.

5. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    My nesting box has four 12 x 14 sections. That is the other odd thing. Each day the single egg is in a different on of the nests.[​IMG]

6. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Does your coop get a lot of natural light? or due they get out side in a run? They need the long daylite Are you feeding free choice. keeping the feeder full all the time? You don't want to restrict there feed intake

7. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Quote:The coop is open (chainlink covered with chicken wire) on all four sides. I use a feeder. I place food in it in the morning and check it again in the afternoon. I try to keep plenty in it, if it gets to humid out (since I live in central Florida) I dump it out onto the floor and refill with fresh. I never let the feeder go empty. I also give them scratch mix (that I put on the floor) and they get treats like watermelon, bread, berries, corn-on-cob etc.

8. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Are you positive only one hen is laying since they are in different nests? Mine have their Favorite and return to that one usually.

9. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Well, I figure since I have five hens and only get one egg at a time (and not every day) that only one is laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by