Only one hen sneezing???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AustralorpsAU, Sep 4, 2016.

1. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi all.

At the moment i have 3 15 week old chickens and 3 10 month old chickens. They are all Aussies except one 10 month old Ancona. Today she is sneezing quite a but.... no discharge coming out of her nose and none of the other chickens are doing it. I did just fill up the feed tray and it was the dusty bit at the bottom of the bag.... do you think this could have caused it? If she is still doing it tomorrow should i be concerned or is it just an itchy nose? If it is an itchy nose how do i clean it? Thanks

2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I've had my 5 pullets for a month now, and there is one buff orp that sneezes quite a bit and has from day one. No discharge, no signs of being ill. I chalked it up an allergy. Hopefully yours turns out to be nothing too.

3. AustralorpsAU

May 20, 2016
    Down Under

I do recall mine sneezing a couple of times but not like today. Im hoping she just got a tickle in her nose [​IMG]

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Check her nares (nostrils) to see if she has an feed crumbles in them. If so, then gently try to clean them out with a damp rag or qtips.
    Dust can make them sneeze, but if it continues then you will want to separate her just in case the dust is not the cause.

Let us know how she's doing.

5. AustralorpsAU

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Thanks. I would probably have to do this at night though because she is a very difficult hen to catch. Plus she doesn't stay still long enough to do anything but i will try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by