Only one hen

joyce_huang

Chirping
Oct 16, 2021
Since my little white hen was killed by an owl two days ago I have now only one hen left with four roosters. They are all seven months old. I don't have the heart to "process" the roosters. I am thinking separate them from the only hen I have now. My question is: will my only hen be lonely to be w herself all the time? Appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20211016_111911.jpg
    20211016_111911.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 20
If you really want to keep the boys and don't care about eggs, you could rehome the pullet. Or pick just the most gentle boy to house her with, and keep the others housed away from them.

Or plan on getting more pullets/hens. Boys still would need to be housed separately unless you're getting a LOT more girls.

Thanks. Being bald and injured is a ugly scene. I would never let that happens to her. Cruel is the affairs of nature. I cannot help becoming philosophical after a recent loss of another my beloved hen.

I now have the hen takes turns to stay w each boy in a supervised fashion, hopefully it can gives me idea whom she feels most comfortable with. In the meantime, I'm purchasing a Incubator. I have some eggs from my beloved little white hen who was killed by a hawk 6 days ago. I want to hatch her chick's if it is possible. So sad my little while was only 7 months and herself was a baby still.

If you really want to keep the boys and don't care about eggs, you could rehome the pullet. Or pick just the most gentle boy to house her with, and keep the others housed away from them.

Or plan on getting more pullets/hens. Boys still would need to be housed separately unless you're getting a LOT more girls.
Thanks for all these sensible advises!

It might work if the boy is super gentle.
But the truth is, all young roosters have a crazed urge to breed as many hens as they can, as often as they can. And if there’s only one hen when normally there’d be more, all of that will be focused on her.
Is there not a way to get more hens of a similar age?

Back
Top Bottom