Only one laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oihens, Aug 10, 2013.

1. oihens

oihens New Egg

May 5, 2013
    I have four hens, two barred rocks and two rhode island reds raised from 3 weeks old and are now 5 1/2 months. Kept in a coop with lots of room, they do not roam the yard due to lots of hawks and a fox in the area. Very healthy, happy birds, well fed with laying hen pellets and lots of veggie scraps and bugs and about a week and a half ago one started laying but the others have not. She is laying one a day. The one that has started laying is the alpha female. Any ideas of how long it takes for the others to start. I kind of thought they would all start at the same time since they are the same age. Any ideas? Am I being too impatient?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens just like humans and other animals mature at varying rates. Be patient the others will produce.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] It's hard to be patient when waiting for eggs but, it will happen

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Hello & Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Your other girls should start laying soon. It's so hard to be patient, but it will happen! I have a flock about the same age as yours and I have 3/19 laying currently. Good luck!

[​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas oihens, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!! I concur with the advice of sourland. Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by