1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only One Left

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by komobu, Oct 11, 2016.

1. komobu

komobu New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    We live in the city in Virginia. We got four chickens in the spring. My wife would let the four out everyday at about 3pm. Usually they would all return at dusk. Tonight only one returned. We looked around the house and found some feathers where maybe a cat got one of them. My wife is pretty broke up about it. Not sure how a cat could have gotten three of them though. Anyways, I know chickens are social creatures and I am not sure what to do with the one chicken that is left. Any advice on what to do with our remaining chicken?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Would you consider getting 2 more birds?

3. komobu

komobu New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    Sure...But chicks arent available until next year and I didnt think you could bring adult hens together without fighting.

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    All chickens fight when you add new members to flock whether their babies or aults but you can do it, it just takes time. When I merge my flocks it usually takes a month or two. You should start off by puting them in sperate runs that are close enough so the can see and communicate with each other but not get physical.

5. komobu

komobu New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    Thanks...I didnt know that. Ill try to get a couple more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by