Only one left

JCristyD

Chirping
Jun 30, 2019
We had a series of deaths. One due to old age. Then the predators. i have one chicken left out of 8. I think she is lonely but I dont want to start another flock until next year early spring. Should i rehome her or let her be? Ahe wont go to the coop at night and says on our porch and vey near all dY except when she lays, surprisingly she started doing that again after almost 2 months after the traumas. I know someone who has chickens. Should i take her there?

Attachments

• 20210925_011035.jpg
    20210925_011035.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210925_011033.jpg
    20210925_011033.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 7
While integrating a lone bird into a flock is difficult at best long term for her it would be best to be in a flock.

I would at least try adding her to their flock. Keeping a close eye would be needed so she isn't attacked and killed by the existing flock.

Penning her up next to them where no one can peck her will give them time to get used to each other before they are all in one pen. I strongly recommend doing that to reduce the brutal treatment a flock tends to give intruders.

While integrating a lone bird into a flock is difficult at best long term for her it would be best to be in a flock.

I would at least try adding her to their flock. Keeping a close eye would be needed so she isn't attacked and killed by the existing flock.

Penning her up next to them where no one can peck her will give them time to get used to each other before they are all in one pen. I strongly recommend doing that to reduce the brutal treatment a flock tends to give intruders.
X2.
She should not be left alone for so long. She's on your porch because she is lonely.
The one other thing I would do to help ease her transition into the flock in addition to the very important "look don't touch" about 2 week portion of her integration would be to add the friendliest chicken from the flock she is being integrated with into her pen with her after she's been in the "look don't touch" pen for about a week. Leave the pair together for another week to form a bond and then allow them to mingle with the entire flock. That will greatly improve the integration with minimal bickering. I hope your friend has lots of room to do an integration.
Good luck.

If you want to have chickens, I would ask the friend for one bird. A middle of the flock bird. Put them together, there will be a dust up, but one on one is not bad, and in a few days, they will be a pair. Much better than trying to get a single bird into an established flock and you keep getting eggs.

Then in the spring, you can add some chicks, and replace the bird back to your friend.

Back
Top Bottom