only one left!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nat2009, May 10, 2007.

1. nat2009

nat2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I hatched 4 eggs and only one is still living. I think it is kinda and learning exsperience since this is the first time I ever did this. Ok i have her in a box withe a light some food and water with a thermometer. I there any thing else i should be doing? The thermometer is on 92-94 degrees is that ok? It will not eat by itself though is that normal it is not even a day old.

2. nat2009

Apr 10, 2007
    Please Help me!

3. webdawg

webdawg Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Kingman, Az
    I'm not a chick expert, but I'd say the temp, food and water is good. As far as when they start eating......have you stuck it's beek in the food and water yet? Maybe it's still eating off what it was born with.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Sometimes it takes anywheres form 24-48hours for a chick to eat anything. To make the chick less lonely, you can place a small stuffed animal in for her to cuddle with. Just keep a good eye on her.

5. nat2009

Apr 10, 2007
    I have thought that too but iam just so scared about it dying because all the others did. We have been putting food in its mouth and making it drink so maybe it will be ok! The stuffed animal idea is a good idea! I'll do it![​IMG]

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Chicks get nourishment for upto 72 hours from the absorbed yolk. If it is just hatched today, I wouldn't think it is going to starve. Keeping fluids in the baby is good. Sprinkle some starter around on the brooder floor (you do have the chick on paper towels, right?) so the chick can see it.
    Does it appear to drink when you dip its beak into the water? I think some people add a little sugar to the water if the chick is weak, but I do not know how much. Maybe someone else can answer that.
    Keep an area in the brooder at 95 degrees, so the chick can stay warm enough. Is the chick's fluff dry? Are it's eyes open? Does everything appear normal? Is it walking around on its own?

Let the little guy rest a bit and just keep checking on it. Don't force food into its mouth for a while- at least overnight and see if it will eat on its own tomorrow.

Sadly, sometimes it just doesn't work out no matter how hard you try. Good Luck, I hope the little one makes it.

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I had one little frizzle hatch out of 7. She didnt seem to be interested in eating either....here is what I did. Day 3 in the brooder....I sprinkled some feed on the floor...and tapped it with my finger.....Like a momma hen would to show her where it is...she came right over, and started pecking it...she is now 3 weeks old, and doing great! Good luck with you loner....keep us updated!

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Is it possible to get another chick from the feedstore to be a companion?
    Stephanie

9. nat2009

Apr 10, 2007
    Quote:it does drink when i dip it's beak in the water and when i put food in it's mouth it swallows. I didn't know i should put a paper towel on the floor but i will try that tonite!it is dry and the eyes are open and it does walk around and stuff.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  10. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    When you put chicks on a paper towel and sprinkle some food around on it, the chick will notice the food more easily and begin to peck at it out of curiosity. Once it knows what its food looks like, there is no need for the paper towels.

Incidentally,
    When chicks are first put on pine shaving bedding, they sometimes try to eat the shavings, paper towels are also good for preventing this, also just until they know what their food is and is not. Paper towels also give the chicks a non-slippery surface to stand and walk on, helping to prevent spraddle legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by