Only one of 5 hens laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by embalmermama, Jan 1, 2011.

1. embalmermama

embalmermama New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. I purchased 6 hens all about 3-4 weeks of age less than 3 months ago. One turned out to be a rooster:) We started getting one egg a day two weeks ago. Can't tell who is laying but I feel like they should all be laying by now. I live in Northern California and it is cold, dark and rainy and has been for a while. I was chalking it all up to the cold weather but am now wondering if we have a problem.
    Any thoughts?

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually you are on schedule with the laying. They start usually between 5 and 8 months old depending on the breed and the season. For instance, a standard NH will begin sometimes at around 5 months as they mature early, and a Polish typically mature later and may not lay for quite a while later.

I suspect if you are getting a brown egg it is your RI, If it is a white egg it is your Leghorn. Just a guess!!!

Have no fear, they will all lay in good time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Some breeds of chickens begin laying earlier than others. Let us know what breeds you have and others on this site can let you know when their pullets of the same breed began to lay. You can often tell when pullets are getting ready to lay - their combs will get larger and turn from pale to red. Also, pullets will begin to squat a week or two before they lay their first egg. Have you observed these in your pullets yet? If you post pictures some folks here can tell you whether your pullets look close to laying age. I wish you lots of eggs soon!

4. embalmermama

embalmermama New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Thank you so much. I'll relax then. I just can't wait to be getting 5 a day!!!!

5. embalmermama

embalmermama New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    I am going to go take some up to date pics right now.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yep weather. Three weeks ago I was getting 11 eggs from 11 pullets, now I am lucky to get 2 a day. The weather really affects them. If you have babies that are growing up in the winter they *typically* will wait until spring to start laying.

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:I know what you mean. I got 3 eggs a day from my 3 hens for a long time and it was great! Now that I am getting 1 a day from 3 I am going through egg withdrawal. Getting more chicks in the spring so I can have more eggs [​IMG] Have fun!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As the daylength increases and your hens become more mature, egg production will increase. Be patient. You are sure they are hens, right?[​IMG]:lol:

9. Farmer Grover

Farmer Grover Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    My 8 month old pullets stopped laying when the weather got cold and the days got shorter. I put them under lights and my Speckled Sussex started laying a week later....one a day again. By Blue Andalusian molted and then started up again last week. They really like the heat from the light too with our current Colorado weather turning from the mid 50's earlier this week, to the single digits! Just thought I would pass along a suggestion. Good luck!

10. embalmermama

embalmermama New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Thank you so much for all your replies. I love all the info. I have noticed that some have redder combs than others and I feel more confident that they aren't "lemons". lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by