Only one of the three eggs has veins. Should I add some more?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smartie_Pants, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have a silkie setting on one of her eggs and two EE eggs. This is day 5, not counting the day they were set, and I candled because I couldn't stand the anticipation anymore. Only the silkie egg had veins. The others were clear. Should I go ahead and add a few more eggs or wait until day seven? I don't want there to be only one chick, it will be lonely. After her egg hatches, will she set the extra 5 days to hatch the rest? Or will I need to finish in an incubator?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would leave them a few more days it's pretty early.

3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Are you sure? There was nothing at all in them, just the yolk. The silkie egg on the other hand was full of veins. I don't really care to wait, I just don't want there to be a lonely chick and I don't want to add more later and have her abandon them for the early chick at the very end.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I had some that I couldn't see the veins in that early, and they hatched. I wouldn't jump the gun. Be patient.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Okay, thanks you guys. I normally don't candle until day 7 or 8, so I guess I'm just overconcerned.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I'd stick a few under her just in case.... you could always get rid of the extra chicks or even crack the eggs in a few days if you don't want that many. If it is one chick, you don't want them to be too far apart.

7. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Now I'm not sure what to do. I think I'll stick just ONE egg under her. That way, if those two do end up hatching I'll have four chicks, and that a resonable amount for me. Now to decide which breed!

8. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Okay, I put it under her. It was either a Golden Comet Mix or Barred rock Mix. Can't remember which layed it.

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    [​IMG] 1 more never hurts.

10. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    Better to be safe than sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by