only one Serama Chicken hatched :( what to do ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eifelhexe, May 23, 2010.

1. Eifelhexe

Eifelhexe Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Germany
    hi all,
    at first sorry for bad english i i hope its not too bad

i am not sure, but i think i have a problem

i bought 10 Serama Hatching Eggs, from wich only 3 were fertile , 2 did not hatch, (i guess cause of that lethal gen they have) and one actually did hatch.
    it's 5 days old now and doing great it seems.

i keep it under an infrared lamp in a birds cache at the moment were it seems to be doing really good.

today and yesterday it was a warm sunny day outside so i took it both days out and visited my other chicken (silkies) wich have 9 days old babys and hoped it would just join them.

wich it didnt it just ran after me and jumped on my feet. even the silkie hen came up to it and showed it food and making the noise breeding hens make.
    but it did ignore her and ran after me.
    now my question is : should i just leave it with the hen and hope it joins her ? (the other babys are twice as big and i am afraid they step on it and hurt it)

or should i just keep it under the red light and play its hen ?

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] again
    I would keep it inside, unless the hen is broody. If she sits on a nest all day you can try tucking the chick under her and watch them closely. The hen should sit on chick and the chick should stay under her. If it doesn't work you get to be her momma [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Not uncommon with seramas. I try to set them with other eggs. If your hen is truly broody and you want to risk it you can leave the chick with the hen but if she's not broody it's a death sentence for your chick. If she's not a proven mother then even if she is broody you could lose the chick. The best thing to do would be to run to the feedstore and get 2 or 3 day olds to put with it. Otherwise some people have put stuffed animals or ticking clocks in with single chicks. It is possible for a single chick to die of loneliness but a lot less common than lost chicks due to bad mothers.

4. Eifelhexe

May 23, 2010
    Germany
    thanks for the replies

i guess i better not take the risk then and keep it inside .
    i have rolled up and old woolen sock wich it snuggles into when i am not around and try to acompany it as much as possible.

5. Eifelhexe

May 23, 2010
    Germany
    here is a little update of my little cutie [​IMG]

its doing really well and you can almost watch the feathers grow.

a little terror here and there when i put it back under the red light and food and water, but we will survive [​IMG]

guess were it spends lots of time during the days [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks again for the replies, i am so happy i kept it inside and in 10 more days it will have little brothers and sisters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by