Only Silkie chicks lethargic and wings droopy not LF chicks in same brooder.

SilkiesnFrizzle

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 23, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I had chickens for 9 years so I've had my fair share of emergencies to deal with. I'm kind of stumped on this one though I have some of my chicks that I hatched from my flock of birds and then silkies in with them that hatched around the same time they came from a breeder. They are the only ones in the brooder that are lethargic and their wings are drooping. I already thought of coccidia so I put Corid in their waters and I put save a chick in their water as well. They're eating a little bit. Ppop is watery, no blood but what would cause just the Silkies to be showing signs of lethargy and illness when the rest of the birds are just fine? They are far more timid than the LF, could they have been bullied out of food?

Yes, the Silkies might have been bullied away from the food.

I suggest you separate them for a day or two and see if they improve. Maybe divide the brooder with wire mesh, so they can still see each other, and provide food/water/warmth/cool area on each side.

When using Corid, do not give any kind of vitamin supplement at the same time. Save the vitamins for after the Corid treatment is over.

I just checked on one and it has fallen over and was getting stepped on. Picked it up, it can still stand. Should I try to tube feed? Familiar with it, and the baby has been drinking water so I'm not to worried about dehydration. Its very weak, I did see it peck at food today, but not enough.

Not the best shots. Put them in bator to warm up. One apparently just got pooped on the head. (sorry bator is dirty just hatched in it🤷) Chicks atr making that sad peeping noise.
Screenshot_20220502-041253~2.png
Screenshot_20220502-041244~2.png

I had chickens for 9 years so I've had my fair share of emergencies to deal with. I'm kind of stumped on this one though I have some of my chicks that I hatched from my flock of birds and then silkies in with them that hatched around the same time they came from a breeder. They are the only ones in the brooder that are lethargic and their wings are drooping. I already thought of coccidia so I put Corid in their waters and I put save a chick in their water as well. They're eating a little bit. Ppop is watery, no blood but what would cause just the Silkies to be showing signs of lethargy and illness when the rest of the birds are just fine? They are far more timid than the LF, could they have been bullied out of food.
Just put them in incubator, have katee parrot food and save a chick already mixed and ready to go. I let them warm up then tube feed? Theyre still standing so hope they can pull thru. Apparently the other one pooed on the showgirls head, poop is less runny than yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-041244~2.png
    Screenshot_20220502-041244~2.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220502-041253~2.png
    Screenshot_20220502-041253~2.png
    572.3 KB · Views: 2
I just checked on one and it has fallen over and was getting stepped on. Picked it up, it can still stand. Should I try to tube feed? Familiar with it, and the baby has been drinking water so I'm not to worried about dehydration. Its very weak, I did see it peck at food today, but not enough.
I don't know whether to recommend tube feeding in this case or not.
@azygous @Eggcessive any thoughts?

You can add water to a little bit of chick starter, and offer that too. Sometimes they like it better wet, and they can always ignore it if they do not want it.

One of my babies was lethargic and not standing like what you're describing and he just had to wait a few days to start up and get moving. Sometimes it just takes a few more days for them to get up, walk, or even eat and drink... It may take a few days so give them some extra vitamins, minerals and calcium for extra support. ( if you think most of that is necessary or you can just give them electrolytes and egg water. If their immune system is weak, it'll help. )

These aren't just hatched chicks.
I would go ahead and get them on Corid. Make sure you're using the correct dose of 2tsp for Liquid Corid or 1 1/2tsp of Powdered Corid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. No extra vitamins, electrolytes, etc. in the water during the course of treatment with Corid.

I would also give each one a direct oral dose of undiluted Corid once a day for 3 days. Liquid Corid at .10ml per pound of weight. If using powdered, let me know and I'll tell you how to do that.

Keep them warm, sick chicks have a hard time regulating. A warm spot that is around 80F would be good to start with, but adjust the heat as needed and of course, they need room to move away to get cooled down if necessary.

Hoping these little ones pull through.

Back
Top Bottom