Only sneeze or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by epitidios, Jul 19, 2010.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    It seems that the problems are pilling here. I have an isolated turkey due to illness and the rest of the flock, all on antibiotics. I saw today 3-4 hens sneezing. I saw in some topics that it can be normal. The ill turkey also sneezes but the area below her eyes is swollen. Could this indicate that the hens have the same disease? or it is coincidence? I checked the eyes of these chickens and they seem fine. Also they are pretty vivid. But the turkey is vivid too. I am more than confused. Any help??? [​IMG]

2. tegg

tegg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    hello,
    um i did have an issue with my flock of 15 chooks all one by one start sneezing and then getting runny nose and puffy eyes. it was terrible as i would take one to the vet for antibiotics and then another one would display the same symptoms. i lost one chicken as she started coughing blood. but just as fast as it came in 2 weeks it was gone. one chook still had puffy eyes but with some eye cream from the vet she came good.
    the vet told me somtimes a virus or bacterial infection will be picked up...like a cold and the week ones will sucome to the illness or get through it and develop an imunity to that strain. she said its uncomon for a chook to die from it.
    i think you should just moniter your flock maybe check if they are eating well, moving around ok drinking enough. ad if it gets worse, consider that they might need a little extra help from antibiotics from a vet. i know this wont help you but i know what you feel when your flock slowly break down one by one, and their is always one who is far worse than the rest.
    from tegg

3. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    Well, they do get antibiotics. I am just confused on why they show symptoms 4 days after taking the antibiotics (and still do take them). I really wonder where this will stop. How many birds i have to lose in order for the problem to settle down?

4. tegg

tegg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    ok, hmm.
    well the vet told me a vast number of factors can contribute to the illnes. in my case it was puting live bunches of grass in the ground in the pen. i must have brought the bug from the place i dug up the grass. or it was the new straw bedding wich caused their noses to run and in turn ignite a pre existing bug in their system.
    can you think of anything different that has happend, maybe a change of feed or bedding. it could be seasonal too, it may happen once and never again. or you might see a pattern in the weather and illness.
    it could be a virus the most common of troubles involving flue like symptoms, and their is nothing you can do ecept maybe try some herbal remadies for boosting the imune system of the turkys and chooks, i think garlic is one, it helps with the nasal pasagess.
    i realy hope you have some break in the illness soon. its heart breaking to lose somthing you put your heart and soul into and have it taken away in just a day.
    if things get realy bad maybe you could get an autopsy done and have samples taken. i had my chicken that died tested because their was a posability of bird flue....wich of cource wasn't but the symptoms are the same.
    i hope it all works itself out soon.

5. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    Well in some occasions i gave them various grasses that i pick from my field. I also gave them acacia leaves. I have straw in their nests and also some on the floor to help cleaning their droppings. Tomorrow i will visit the vet again. I hope that i will find and answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by