Only the White Rocks are affected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ellie32526, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    When I went out last night to check on them, everybody was good, then this morning I find all four of the White Rocks have been pecked until they are bleeding. None of the other chicks have any visible pecked sores. Ugh!

I separated the four white ones in a smaller bin, I treated the sores with Providone Iodine (all I had right now-I use this to treat my dogs when they get injured) but I smeared the Iodine all over not just on the sores so it wouldn't attract pecking from any of the others. Not my White Rocks look more like Buff Rocks, LOL.

I checked on them tonight, everybody seems to be okay, fingers crossed we don't have a repeat of last night.

I think my chicks have their days and nights mixed up. They seem to sleep all day and get active at night. I turn the over head light on in the day and off at night. I have a red brooder lamp. It has been pretty cold at night and then gets hot in the daytime inside the coop, so I have been turning the heat lamp off during the day, so maybe the heat lamp is keeping them awake at night.

I am wondering if my brooder is too small for them. I am using the cardboard box that my chest freezer came in. I will have to measure it to be sure but it's about 2ftW X 5 ft.L X 3 ft H.

2. mmktdox

mmktdox Chillin' With My Peeps

How many do you have in that area? And how old are they? I had to separate my white rocks from the other chicks, they always got picked on and bloodied up. I was never sure if it was a space issue or just different temperments but separation fixed the problem for me. Good luck!

3. ellie32526

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Yep, I have not had a problem since I separated the white rock chicks. I only have 4 of them so I'm okay for now, but I'm thinking they will get cramped soon so I need to find a bigger place for them.I am concerned when I try to re-integrate them with the others that the pecking will start again. I don't want two flocks. Did you ever put yours back together? How did it work out? I'm going to keep them separated until it heals well. I am hoping it gets warm soon so I can take them outside for a bit. i think they might be bored. Do you think I could hang an apple in the brooder for them to peck at so they don't peck each other or are they too young for apples?

4. ellie32526

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I have four and they are about two weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by