Only want to order 2-3 chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mammachick, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mammachick

mammachick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2009
    I want to order a couple chicks, are there any hatcheries that will ship small quantities?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    MyPetChicken will allow you to order as few as 3.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My Pet Chicken will ship in small quantites but you will pay a premium for the shipping. If possible try finding someone in your area that will split and order with you. Or better still try to find someone local with chicks. Before much longer most feed stores will be ordering chicks. You could check with them, see which hatchery they are ordering from, select the breed one want, and they then add that to their total order.

5. Paulup

Paulup Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2010
    St. Tammany, La
    Ideal ships small quantities, but charge a fee for partial boxes.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My pet chicken only allows you to order 3 chicks if you live in a major city. The further you are from a large city, the more the miniumum # of chicks. Where I live their miniumum is 8.
    For just a few chicks your best bet might be to wait until the feed stores get their chicks in the spring; like Opa said.

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Where are you located? A lot of us are starting to hatch chicks (I'm one of them [​IMG]). You've got a huge community to find chicks right here [​IMG]

8. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I would ask around your area to see if anyone has what you want, but depending on where you live, make sure the weather is warm enough to support only a few birds coming to your door, or at the very least have the Post Office hold them inside for you to pick up.

9. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Check with your local feed/farm supply stores. Some of them will allow you to buy small quantities, but we've found that their selection is limited. If you can't find somebody to split an order with, you can also order the minimum and sell the extras. We've had good luck selling chicks on craigslist.

10. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Mammachick, tell us the area where you live and I am sure someone local can help you get what you want, especially if you are only looking for a few. I live in middle Tennessee and we have peafowl, yellow golden pheasants, Silkies,Booted Begian mille fleur, Dutch and OEG bantams, along with a few BBT and WBT Japanese bantams. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by