1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only you guys will understand

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CountryGirl1120, Aug 27, 2016.

1. CountryGirl1120

CountryGirl1120 Out Of The Brooder

Ever had a family member question why youre raising chickens when store eggs are "so" much cheaper? I have to say it irks me. My brother works for a restaurant supply company we will call them. They deliver food to restaurants and other places like that, schools and what not. Well we were talking about eggs tonight and he said he could get them super cheap from the warehouse store at this company for like 40 cents a dozen. And then proceeded to say that at that point its not even the cost that "we" put into raising chickens. I had to bite my tongue. He doesnt help with "my" chickens or ducks so the cost for him is nothing. I wanted to say you go buy your old eggs then. He then proceeded to try to tell me that the eggs they get arent any older than a day and I had to contain myself to keep from laughing. What is wrong with people today? Especially the younger generation of 20 year olds. He's going to be 20 this year and you would think from the way he talks he knows everything. But anyways, thank you to whoever reads this and listens to my rant. I had to get it out.

2. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    yep... or that they don't trust homegrown because it is not 'sanitary'.. like a factory farm food is

3. CountryGirl1120

CountryGirl1120 Out Of The Brooder

Yes! I just dont get it. Especially since people want to be healthier and yet the healthier option is the one they condemn

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    when it comes down to it - getting stuff cheapest is what matters to most people.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Buying chicken eggs at the store because they are cheaper is like choosing to eat at McDonald's instead of a homemade meal because it's cheaper.

6. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Very true

7. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

YES This has happened before. Many People always want the cheaper options these days. Wether its Healthy or not, Apparently cheaper is better. Well its not all the time. Im grateful for what my flocks do for me, Even if it can get a little expensive at times. Chickens do a whole lot more than a lot of people expect!

8. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    People seem to think in terms of money, not health. It should definitely be the opposite. [​IMG]

9. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, It should be opposite. But I guess in a world of money its hard for some people to choose the healthier option.

10. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by