? onplacing baby chicks with silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txmel, May 28, 2010.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i am planning on hatching some chicks late this summer or fall just kindof depends but i wanted to know if after the chicks are a week or two old could i place them in the coop for my silkies to raise? will they raise them even if they aren't broody at the time i put the chicks in? i have 2 silkies and they are only 13 or so weeks old so not sure if they are even hens yet [​IMG] but if they are would this work?
    thanks

2. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Non-broody hens will not raise chicks and may even kill them.

Silkies are pretty docile, but your only chance would be putting day old chicks under a broody silkie (and they do go broody easily).

3. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    ok well hopefully they are hens and will cooperate and go broody for me [​IMG]

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    And if they do go broody you need to put the chicks in with them when the chicks are a day old or so. Any later and they are likely to be rejected. You should have a back-up plan for a brooder just in case.

5. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    ok thanks i have a brooder but i was kinda hoping they would cooperate for me because fall is still very hot down here and i'm afraid i'd cook them in the garage in the brooder, but i do have a a/c shed that i might be able to move them to with a heat lamp if the silkies aren't ready to be mommies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by