Ontarians!! cocci treatment.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freerange freaks, May 31, 2008.

1. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I think I have a rampant case of cooci. Mucousy, bood tinged poop. We have been having very humid, wet weather. I can't find a vet to do a fecal float so I was just going to medicate without a diagnosis with either sulmet or amprol, whatever my feed store had. It turns out they are not allowed to sell any products for treatment of cocci.

What am I suppose to do? I can't wait much longer. They are all eating and drinking right now and I don't want them to start dying off. How do other Canadians get access to drugs? I feel so helpless. Is there any other way to treat my chicks?

2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    did you try on-line poultry stores? I do not know of any better than others.

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Where in Ontario are you? TSC sells some stuff, but not the stuff you are looking for. i have a feed store near me -- a purina dealer, and they sell some meds.

4. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Hi Free Range...sorry you're having problems. I don't know where you'd get any cocci treatments around here, esp if TSC doesn't carry it. Personally I haven't had to search it out (yet). I have read though that adding DE to chicken's diets, and sprinkling dried shredded coconut on their crumbles or pellets is a good way to rid of any viruses and parasites.

Sorry I can't help any more! [​IMG]

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Didn't I just read on here the other day to give them milk for cocci? I'm pretty sure I did, that is what they used to treat it with in the old days...although our milk these days is not quite the same

6. Stella1964

Stella1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    That's an excellent suggestion. If you can find organic whole unpasturized milk, that might do the trick! If you're close to Quebec, I believe it's legally sold there, or you could try a farm with a couple dairy cows to see if they'll give you a litre of their pure milk.

7. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have whole, raw goats milk so I'll try that first thing. And hopefully the babies will hang on 'til monday when I can get in touch with a vet.

How will I know if the milk is working? will the bloody poop stop the same day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by