Ontario??

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by HeatherFeather, Nov 26, 2011.

1. HeatherFeather

HeatherFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Who else is in Ontario? I swear I thought maybe one of the Mods was at some point (a few years back perhaps?)

I'm looking for someone who can sell me some hatching barred rock eggs, from a solid laying (not showing) flock.

Heather=^..^=

2. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    Ontario here!
    But no eggs... at all... yet!
    My first two hens are just 21 and 17 weeks. Sigh. It's a long wait.
    I've noticed a serious lack of ontarians in the forum, glad you started this thread.

3. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Aw, shucks, I'm sure there is more. I swear I thought there was somebody from Kingston/Belleville sort of way. I'm in Muskoka.

4. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    Cobourg here... have you done much in the way of ordering eggs for hatching? I've been thinking it might be a fun thing to try (I get a little over excited when I start reading other people's stories). Where have you gotten your eggs from in the past? I have a friend who's ordered chicks (but not eggs) from Performance Poultry in the County, I'm wondering what their stock is like.

5. HeatherFeather

Feb 16, 2009
    Severn Bridge, ON
    Nope, I've never hatched any eggs other than the ones from our own hens.

We've mostly ordered day olds from Frey's, I always seem to miss the deadline for performance which is early in the year (maybe not this year?), plus they're pretty far from us.

We haven't been entirely happy with the hatchery stock, our best performing/laying birds are the fancy breeds we bought from other hobbyists, and their offspring which were raised by their mothers. We'd like to 'upgrade' our entire flock to non-hatchery stream birds, which we hope will perform better for us; preferably barred rocks.

We just drove all the way to Hanover yesterday to bring home a bunch of certified organic young laying hens, but I'd like to hatch some eggs now, from some sturdy 'homestead' type birds to bring our flock numbers up by the summer.

6. eatmorechicken70

eatmorechicken70 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Hello I am from Peterborough. No birds myself until next year. I am looking to network with other people in the province and see what is available in my area of Ontario.

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I'm in ON. Not selling hatching eggs, though.

8. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    im an hour west of Peterborough. I am looking for hatching eggs also. where abouts in ontario are you?

9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Anyone going to the Northeastern Poultry Conference? It's Jan 14th & 15th in Springfield, Mass. There will be a BYC table there, where BYCers can meet up and take a load off. Anyone willing to field questions at the table from the general masses for an hour or more is eligible for a 6 month GFM upgrade -PM Stoopid for details.

Hope to see you there! I'll be in my newly acquired blue (and man, is it blue!) BYC hoodie. -Martha

10. abi24

abi24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Quote:Cobourg! I live just 10 minutes north of Cobourg. Have had chickens for about two years now and have still got a lot to learn. Let's talk chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by