ooh it's hot...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dragonlili, Aug 6, 2007.

1. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    We are looking at the temps going up to 103 on Thursday! I know there are some of you that are further south than me, so I know that there may be a lot of you dealing with hotter temps.
    My main coop actually stays kind of cool in the backwoods. Other than boredom, I think everyone will be better off, heatwise, being cooped up until the early evening. Any suggestions ? There's plenty of water around. Should I sweep up the straw so they can be on the cool concrete floor? We did ok last summer but you see those panting babies and you want to do more. :|

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I let the garden hose run all day in my run. They seem to like it I have well water so its not bad like having city water and the bill to go with it. I read straw holds alot of heat inside of a coop. Someone posted before about taking it out and the temps inside coop dropped like 20*.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Yes, the straw will hold heat. I posted that earlier. My mother told me to take the straw out, and let them have the dirt/gravel floor. It worked great, dropped the temp about 20 deg. I didnt think it was going to work...but...momma knows best. [​IMG]

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    You have electricity out there? A fan helps alot. Along with frozen water bottles that they can lean on and cool off. Mine like to nest in the cool dirt next to the water bottles with the fan blowing gently on them.[​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I was given a walmart bag half full of orange slices so I put it in the freezer for a hot day. Yesterday I took it out to the coops to help cool them off. Yeah, right. They went after it but when they'd peck it you could see their heads bounce back, the oranges were so hard. Boy did I get glared at! [​IMG] I did notice when I came back later that some flocks had eaten it and some hadn't. [​IMG]

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] you mean candy orange slices? pictured them bouncing off of those hilarious!

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    No, these were real oranges that had been sliced in to wedges then frozen. I've heard frozen fruit is good for them in hot weather so I gave it a try. If looks could kill......

[​IMG]

8. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this sounds absurd but we put a mister in the house. They don’t like it when it’s on b/c they hate being wet (do all chx hate being wet?) but it drastically cools down the house. They go into the run and come back in the house when the mister is off.

Also, I hose down the whole house a few Xs a day.

Ice cold cantaloupe as a treat to keep their spirits up.
    [​IMG]

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Im over here in NC. It's hot as hades over here too. Went out and watered the garden today something I hate to do but we are in the middle of a drought and haven't seen rain in weeks. Even my rain barrels got dust in them!! [​IMG]

I've turn them loose as usual and they headed for the shade of the woods. I've sprayed down the run and the small piles of straw that are lying around. Hoping that will help keep them cool. Also filled up the dogs pool with fresh water (it's out by the coop) in case they decide they've had enough and jump in!!

10. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    UGH, it is so humid here,,,could use some snow today...lol
    All my chickens are in the coolness of the woods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by