OOHHH NNOOO!!!! I've done it now!

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
Yep; I told my wife we would be getting more chickens last summer and I am true to my word! Today I ordered 20 chicks from Ideal Hatchery out of Texas!! My wife just shook her head. She did stipulate that they were NOT to be brooded indoors, and I must agree with her as it was an unreal mess. The dust is a nightmare but the birds are AWESOME!!
ya.gif

I am already scheming to build a brooder with electricity for the little ones needs. I have a structure that will be a shelter for it. This means a flurry of work prior to the 3/10/11 shipping date but it should be fun!!
pop.gif

I forgot to tell the breeds I got... 4 each of 5 different breeds. Black Australorps, Gold Sex Links, Ameracuanas, Delawares and Buff Orpingtons. I had some BA's before but they were killed at 10 weeks old.
hit.gif
Never had the other breeds before, though my EE's are related to the Ameracuanas.

You mentioned mess. I have 12 eggs in incubator. We are planning on keeping the babies in a brooder in our bathroom till they are fully feathered. What am I in for? HELP

Quote:
Good Luck!
lol.png
They can get pretty darn messy!

Congrats catdaddy66! You should post pics. once you get them!

Am I crazy? It is just so cold out I want them to have their feathers 1st. This is my 1st time. When we got our chicks during the summer it was warm. How bad will it be?
hide.gif

Terri... I have two brooders (created from dog crates) and yes.. they can be a bit messy.. I don't have a good place outside though.. and decided it was worth it. DH and I give the brooders a GOOD cleaning each Sunday afternoon - they have super thick layer of shavings..now that they are feathering out... there is a fine layer of baby fuzz feathers and shavings dust..which is vacumned each weekend too. Another hint is to put an old sheet around the base outside your brooder (depending on how large your opening is) that can be shaken out from time to time.

I love the little fuzzy butts though.. so I don't mind a little clean up. They grow up so fast

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom