OOHHH NNOOO!!!! I've done it now!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catdaddy66, Jan 10, 2011.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Yep; I told my wife we would be getting more chickens last summer and I am true to my word! Today I ordered 20 chicks from Ideal Hatchery out of Texas!! My wife just shook her head. She did stipulate that they were NOT to be brooded indoors, and I must agree with her as it was an unreal mess. The dust is a nightmare but the birds are AWESOME!! [​IMG]

I am already scheming to build a brooder with electricity for the little ones needs. I have a structure that will be a shelter for it. This means a flurry of work prior to the 3/10/11 shipping date but it should be fun!! [​IMG]

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Sounds Like Fun [​IMG] Congrats!!!

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I forgot to tell the breeds I got... 4 each of 5 different breeds. Black Australorps, Gold Sex Links, Ameracuanas, Delawares and Buff Orpingtons. I had some BA's before but they were killed at 10 weeks old. [​IMG] Never had the other breeds before, though my EE's are related to the Ameracuanas.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    You mentioned mess. I have 12 eggs in incubator. We are planning on keeping the babies in a brooder in our bathroom till they are fully feathered. What am I in for? HELP

5. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Good Luck! [​IMG] They can get pretty darn messy!

Congrats catdaddy66! You should post pics. once you get them!

6. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Am I crazy? It is just so cold out I want them to have their feathers 1st. This is my 1st time. When we got our chicks during the summer it was warm. How bad will it be? [​IMG]

7. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:dust ever - it is great to see the chicks and handle them easily in the warmth of your home - but, man the dust that comes along with it....

8. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Terri... I have two brooders (created from dog crates) and yes.. they can be a bit messy.. I don't have a good place outside though.. and decided it was worth it. DH and I give the brooders a GOOD cleaning each Sunday afternoon - they have super thick layer of shavings..now that they are feathering out... there is a fine layer of baby fuzz feathers and shavings dust..which is vacumned each weekend too. Another hint is to put an old sheet around the base outside your brooder (depending on how large your opening is) that can be shaken out from time to time.

I love the little fuzzy butts though.. so I don't mind a little clean up. They grow up so fast

Shelly

9. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks everyone. I don't mind the extra work at all. I am so enjoying raising chickens and my goats. Love them.

10. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    My new chicks are in the bathroom last year I put up plastic to keep the dust from flying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by