OOO my rooster hates my dog

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Feb 4, 2012.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    My rooster is usually pretty laid back but one day my Australian shepherd and I were playing fetch with a stick while I was feeding the chickens. i had to stop throwing the ridiculously long stick (or small branch,) so i could finish up on cleaning out the waterer while the chickens milled around my feet.

Bear, my dog, was still to excited to give up so he bounced around me and constantly looked between me and everywhere else with that stick in his mouth. Every time he whipped his head around he would hit my rooster with that stick. *THWACK* he looked at me *THWACK* he looked at a horse *THWACK* he looked at me *THWACK* he looked at a squirrel.

After being smacked several times the rooster had had enough. he grabbed the stick in his beak and began to attack it and my dog's nose with his feet. Poor bear stood there dumbfounded, too surprise to let the stick go.

Since then, the rooster has hated my dog as well any other dog that wanders his way. Including my sister's little Yorkie.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Oh no! The poor rooster didn't realize it was just your dog having a good time, while smacking him in the face! I don't know if you'll be able to get him to accept another dog or not. [​IMG] Maybe someone will come along with some ideas for you.

3. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I feel bad for both of them. Bear wasn't hurt and the rooster eventually stopped when he decided that stick and dog was taught a lesson. I still find it incredibly funny, even if the bird was traumatized. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    That is seriously funny. The rooster is like, "Enough of this crap already', and the dog is, "What did I do? What did I do? What did ---"?[​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I think the rooster showed amazing restraint by not attacking sooner!

6. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I agree there!!!!

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL! Sounds like you have a good dog AND a good rooster there! :)

8. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Oh I do. I'm very proud of my flock and my ausie. Bear still can't figure out why that rooster has a hissy when he gets near now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by