Ooofda, it's sure HOT outside!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nicole01, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    The temp is only 95, but with the dew point at 80, the heat index is at 105. It still has a few more hours before it reaches the hottest part of the day. Heat index is expected to reach 110 and this heat wave will last through Wednsday. Hubby is taking the kids to the cabin for the week while I stay home with the dogs and chickens! I'm not leaving my air conditioned house!!!

What's the tempature where your at?

2. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I'm in Kansas, and the heat index here for (at least) the next 6-7 days is predicted to be over 100 degrees. It's all ready been that way for quite awhile and my seven chickens have suffered so much, even when in the shade with a large fan. I cannot believe that I have actually moved them to my basement in a 15' X 15' partitioned area! I put newspapers and pine shavings down, but they scatter everything and are making such a horrible mess! But (I think) it's better than having them suffer and maybe dying in this horrific heat and humidity. This is my first year with chickens and my husband has been so tolerant and helpful, although he still thinks I'm crazy and that I spoil my chickens rotten. He's drawn the line at coming home and finding them in the living room! How are you coping?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I bring mine in too. I have a nice set up in the basement. I only have 8, so it's not bad. The girls like being inside. We keep our cats inside too. They are trying to sneak out every time we open the door to let the dogs out.

I'm so grateful of my central air. I feel awful for those who don't have air conditioning in this heat. Our heat index is 111 right now. Bleh! I don't like being out there even for the 5 minutes it takes to let the dogs out to relieve themselves.

4. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I got my chicks around March 9 and at least one is starting to lay! I can't believe it in this heat and taking them into the basement, which, I think, would be added stress to them. I watched one of my SLW's lay an egg this morning. It was so cute, because she normally HATES to be alone and separated from the other SLW, which is her best friend! But she went inside the coop, which is really hot, to a corner and made a nest out of newspaper, even though I have nesting boxes. She sat there for awhile all quiet and then started squawking. Then she stood up and started making this "buk-buk-buk Ba-GAWWWWK!" ruckus over and over! I picked her up and saw a little brown egg in the corner. I praised her all the way to the portable pen! I later took them all in to the basement when it got too hot. It was the fourth egg, so far, within a week. They are so cute. It's amazing how heavy the eggs are for their size...and the yolks are such a beautiful deep orange and, boy, are they yummy! I'm sure you will get eggs soon! I love my sweet chickie-babies!

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    It's blissfully cooler here right now, as it has rained for the last 2 days. Highs in the mid 80's. But that is life close to the gulf, we have the heat in the upper 90's most of the summer, but at least a chance for hot weather and high humidity storms. But the chance is dropping about Monday. At least we haven't had to mow the grass much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by