OOoo. GRR!!

ChickyLove

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Springfield, MA.
Last Wednesday our town was ravaged by tornado's. We had two of them touch down right here in our town and do a huge amount of damage. One touched less than a quarter of a mile from my home. It looks like a bomb went off out there, right now. Houses on their sides, some just smashed, some with tress right through the tops. The trees look as though someone just grabbed them and snapped them in half. The entire landscape has changed. People have lost their homes, family members, everything they owned and loved. We have the local National Guard, Red Cross, and FEMA working day and night. We have churches organizing the donations that all of the community members have brought in.

Our family did not suffer any damage. We did not lose our home, electric, etc. My garden is flat, but my garden can be re-planted. We were extremely fortunate. So now, I have a friend who has turned this entire event into her very own personal tragedy. She and her husband lost their power for a day. Suddenly, (please do note the tad of sarcasm in this) her daughter who is five has PTSD, suddenly she is asking for donations of food because they had thing in their fridge go bad. (How hard is it to go to the store, buy bags of ice, fill the kitchen sinks and a few coolers?), suddenly she *personally* saw this tornado go overhead and was "scared to death that she and her family wouldn't make it out alive, yet she guided them to the safety of the kitchen" (?!) She has whined, complained, and made a mockery of the agony and loss others have suffered by making this tornado all about HER. I'm appalled. I tried tact:

"I think that people who complain about every single little thing need to volunteer their time with the tornado victims for a while. Then they may realize they don't have a whole lot to complain about. Please be thankful that all you lost was a little food from your fridge because your power went out for six hours."

I have tried not so tactful:

"Look - your griping is getting on my nerves. I'm sorry you lost food, but there are people out there who lost their lives and others who HAVE NOTHING. STOP!!"

and now I'm about ready to hang this friendship up. Yes, I'm nervous every time I look up at the sky and see clouds rolling in and the wind picking up, but criminy! I'M ALIVE! I have a home, my daughter, my animals. I am not going without. We are not one of the hundreds of families who were living in our area who lost their homes and are now crammed into an emergency "bedding facility", reliant on donations and praying that the babies get enough to eat at every meal. And that is just in OUR town. Several other towns were hit too!! I am really really angry right now. I spent a few days in a row with my little girl helping to serve meals, hand out bottled water, sort toy/clothing/toiletries into bags. These folks are scared/feeling desolate and hopeless and wondering how they are going to pick up the pieces of their lives and this very very selfish woman I know is complaining about food in her fridge going bad?! Gahhhhh
somad.gif
:rant:barnie Thank you for listening **end rant**

hugs.gif
You feel free to vent all you want here. I'd be really peeved at her too. I'm so sorry yet another tornado has destroyed so much and so many.
sad.png
Mother Nature sure is pounding everyone lately, but I'm glad you're ok.

Tell her to go talk to so and so that lost everything, and God forbid, lost someone. Tell her to ask them if they feel sorry for her. There are people around here like that, from the outbreaks on April 27th. Fine one minute, and sobbing and wailing (only in public) because of how close they were. We are about 60 miles from Tuscaloosa, and 30 miles to Hackleburg. Nothing around here except we lost our elecrticity overnignt. That's another thing. If we lost electricity during the storms, I could have picked up a voucher for so many hundred dollars of groceries. I didn't, because I believe that kinda thing comes back to you. Karma, or sowing and reaping, whatever you wanna call it.

Thank you. Know what's fascinating to me? The people in our area who have dealt with these terrible losses are feeling horrible for the folks of Joplin Missouri. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people say "...and ours was only an EF3. Can you even imagine how the people of Joplin are faring right now?" and the people of Joplin have been supportive as well. The people in Florida are dealing with aftermath too. NO ONE who is actually a victim of these tornado's that have swept through the country are complaining right now! They are THANKFUL their lives were spared! They are supporting one another and doing the very best they can to rebuild their lives. I am so so glad that communities are pulling together to help.

Quotes from the gal who thinks this all about her:(I changed her name to "Lady who gripes")

Lady who gripes: I HAVE NOTHING IN MY FRIDGE BUT 3 bottles of vodka 2 bottles of Soda .. a thing of BBq sauce , soysauce and THATS ABOUT IT .... !!!! and my freezer has Ice cubes in it !
June 8 at 9:57pm · Like

Lady who gripes: DONATIONS OF FOOD WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
June 8 at 9:58pm · Like

*sigh*

Redhen, it looks like you're in Western Ma as well? I hope you all out that away were safe from the storms!
smile.png
Yes, we were rather surprised! From what I gather, MA doesn't see a whole lot of tornado activity and not on this scale certainly. Monson is way worse off than we are out here and I'm praying they can rebuild soon. When I lived in Georgia and South Carolina and Maryland (I was Military) we saw hurricanes and microbursts, but I have to say I've not seen anything like this until now. My heart really goes out to the folks who have lost so much!

Yeah..i'm in Ware...(like a town away from Monson)
I went there .. such devastation.. it breaks my heart to see. (and i only got to drive through main street..they say its worse in other areas)
We were soooo lucky..it skipped all around us here in the valley.
I took some short videos of Monson... i'll have to post them for you to see..
Glad to hear from someone from Spfd that is okay..
hugs.gif

This one is taken from our car window as we were trying to get home from Southbranch Parkway to Boston Road. It took two and a half hours (with chickens in the car!) to drive half a mile. The big thing right in front is the down powerline we almost ran into.

94499_tornado6.jpg

This next one is a section of road where the trees were just down everywhere. Once again along the same route,

94499_tornado5.jpg

The one below, is one that just made me cry. I know the people who live in this house.

94499_tornado4.jpg

And in this house as well.

94499_tornado_1.jpg

Those are just a few along a very small section of road.

Back
Top Bottom