1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oooooh no....Silkies???!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kryptoniteqhs, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ok so I told myself Id never own a Silkie, although it seems perfectly practical so that I can have a few more incubators.....Can someone talk me into it....I dont wanna offend anyone, but I think theyre so ugly. I need some broodies. My incubator is full and I have a lot of stuff I wanna hatch out. HELP ME!! I dont wanna!!! .....but i do.......uhh!!!

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Perhaps this will change your mind... How can you not love the fluff?

[​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Chris! you are back! i was wondering where ya went to! [​IMG]

4. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Hey krypto, do it, do it, do it, do it, you know you wanna DO IT!! They are great chickens, great broodies, friendly, cute once you get to know them, evil mind control powers, AND are from The Matrix!! They do 360s in the air!!!!!

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    wheres its face? [​IMG]

ok im really sorry lol....but thats my problem...i cant help it lol are there such things as faced silkies? Of course, the ones that I have seen faces on are still wierd lookin to me...any without that purple skin? errr im frustrated and Im probably makin a lot of people mad right now [​IMG]

6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    wait maybe i do want one with out a face....cuz there faces scare me too....and why are they evil...im scared...i dont want them to take over my body??? [​IMG]

7. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    I have Cuckoo Sillies...oops...I mean Silkies, that have normal skin, and you can see their faces, will post pics....

8. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Quote:They are evil because they are the sweetest chickens ever and are sooooo cute that they can get you to do whatever they want you to do.......

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i dont think id like them lol...unless they hatched some chicks then maybe we can be friends...but im worried about discrimination on my part lol jk
    yes pics of normal ones please!!

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'll tell you what I've learned about Silkies... You either love them or you hate them. Every once in a while you'll meet someone who may own one or two just as barnyard pets, but usually people are either fanatical about them, or loathe them.

However, if you can look past their appearance, you may find that they are a good choice for you. Here are some reasons why...

(A) Because of their docile nature, they are generally a good choice for backyard pets, and for kids to show.

(B) They are not flighty since they can't fly, and are rarely cause a problem by going over a neighbors fence.

(C) Because of their size, they make GREAT backyard birds for people who live in cities or suburban areas.

(D) They are GREAT mothers. Silkies are generally used by a lot of game breeders to hatch out gamebirds like quail, pheasant and others.

(E) They are a very interactive bird, and very animated. They get attached to their human owners rather quickly with regular handling.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by