OOOOPS HELP, am I BACKWARDS??? Blue Cochin chick vs Lt. Brahma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Carpe DiHen, May 14, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    I ordered (among other breeds) a Light Brahma and Blue Cochin from MPC. I sorted out these two feather footed chicks by looking at chick pictures on line. BUT, the one I thought was a Cochin did not segregate to a color pattern that made sense for a Blue Cochin chick (not blue, not black , not splash). So today I thought, am I backwards???

#1)This I thought was a cochin (but what? from a blue cochin cross), but is this a light brahma?
    [​IMG]

#2)This I thought was a light brahma, but is this a splash cochin??
    [​IMG]

Who is who??

#2 is very sweet and make song bird noices if that helps? They are 4.75 weeks old.

2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I do think you are backwards. #1 looks more Brahma to me and #2 cochin. I have had both.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The first is definitely a light brahma (see the pea comb?) THe latter does not have sufficient foot feathering for a cochin, but if its a hatchery bird this might be expected. What kind of comb does the pale blue chick have? Could be splash, lavender or an extremely light blue; from a hatchery, best guess is splash.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    My question would be what is MPC crossing to get green leg on a Cochin? Light Brahma and Cochin should have yellow legs and the bird in the second picture looks to have green...

Chris

5. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Here is a picture of the comb on the pale blue chick:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by