Ooops...Chick Plinko

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ryu, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I heard a very unhappy chick thing morning and realized it wasn't in the hatcher. I scrambled over to the incubator and started scanning the shelves for the baby. I must have missed an egg when I moved the last batch of eggs to the hatcher.

The incubator is absolutely full, so I started pulling out racks of eggs. I found the empty shell, and no baby. He had fallen from the second shelf all the way to the bottom of the incubator. We named him/her Plinko after the Price is Right game.

Plinko is doing fine with the other chicks, but I'll be double checking the egg count from now on!

2. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Aww poor thing.
    They are tough, I was trying to pet one of ours and it went rolling down my sis and landed on the floor, about a foot drop and thank GOD it was fine. I felt so miserable for days.

I guess the lower humidity didn't affect that egg.

3. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Awww, poor baby. I am glad he is okay. And what a wonderful name, Plinko !! Love it !!

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I felt just awful when I realized what had happened. He was still very wet when I found him, so I don't think he was out very long.

They all are doing well, it's impossible to find him in with the others now. He was from the smallest egg--that's how I missed him. The other eggs were much larger, I thought he was a different part of the other blue egg hatch for next week.

I've updated the egg marking system, hopfully I won't miss any in the future! We've got hatches every 4 days for the next two weeks--150 eggs total--it's very confusing right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by