1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ooops - I dropped one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuckyPuppy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I just accidentally dropped one of my eggs that I was hand turning. It now has a circular indentation on the side and the resultant cracks. It hit two other eggs but they didn't crack. I put it back temporarily. I did candle it and all I could see was the air sack as the rest is dark. The eggs are on day 8.

My questions are:

1. If I leave the egg inside the incubator is there a chance it can survive?

2. Do you think the other two eggs that it hit will be damaged internally?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I dropped one while candling, put it back in it then cracked open, what a mess! I'm very new at this but from my one egg experience [​IMG] i would not put it back in
    Ayda

3. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I thought that would be the case but was really hoping that it could be saved. [​IMG] Oh well ....... Thank you very much for your answer. I really do appreciate it. [​IMG]

4. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Have you thrown it?

I dropped one when candling and quick thinking i put 2 layers of sticky tape over the crack. It was fine and it was the first to hatch out too [​IMG]

5. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I have also put nail polish and even candle wax on it and all was fine.

6. MuckyPuppy

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Hi kittykat and Memphisjourney,

Yes, I've already thrown it. I've been outside ripping weeds out of the veggie patch and chanting to myself over and over, "I will not drop another one." [​IMG] but before the next turning I will be gathering the repair items the two of you mentioned just in case. [​IMG] Thank you both so very much for the ideas as I am sure that sooner or later if I keep hatching eggs I am going to need them. [​IMG]

7. Memphisjourney2seramas

May 19, 2011
    I dont feel bad I did the same thing last night. I was trying to candle and dropped one...thank goodness is was a dud!

8. Memphisjourney2seramas

May 19, 2011
    I dont feel bad I did the same thing last night. I was trying to candle and dropped one...thank goodness is was a dud!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by