Oops... Cracked Healthy egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClickerChick, Aug 24, 2013.

1. ClickerChick

ClickerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hens has been sitting on four eggs. Here is the back story of them:

I was taking care of my cousin's animals and cleared out all of the eggs from their hen house, including the hidden ones. I ended up with a total of about 3 dozen eggs. I brought them home and candled them, throwing away the bad ones and keeping the fresh ones. There were four that looked like they should be hatching withing a few days. Over the next several days, I discarded three, realizing where the bad smell came from... Also they were sloshy when I tipped them back and forth. Now I have one egg left and I had no idea when it's due to hatch or if it's rotten.

My sitting hen decided to abandon the egg and leave it to die, so I brought it in and candled it. I saw nothing but darkness, so, of course, I had to dissect it to make sure I wasn't throwing away a live chick. I was. I first took a small price of shell from the air sac end to see if it was rotten. I couldn't see anything, so I used my tweezers to tear away the membrane. My heart sunk. There in the egg was this perfectly growing chick that looked to be around it's 18'th day of incubation. Shining my flashlight in, it wiggled around. I was happy it was alive, but petrified that I had just done what I had. I set the egg up against a folded eye glasses cleaner microfiber cloth. I turned away to set up my incubator, and when I turned back, my hand bumped a bottle on my desk, tipping it over to land next to the egg which rolled and spilled out some of the contents - egg white that had the consistency of water. Again, mortified at this development, I grabbed a syringe and sucked up the white. I hesitated, wondering how clean the syringe was, then realizing the chick is probably going to die anyways, I squirted it back into the shell. Lots of the white had gotten sucked up into a bit of toilet paper I had nearby in case I needed it for the dissection.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. There is one thing that I think i'll try to see if I can get the chick to live: get white from another egg and put it into this one. Should I? It would be easy, but i'm not sure if it would connect to the chick so that it would consume it.

I've been carefully "gluing" some shell back onto the egg with clear nail polish, all except the largest piece.

Any other advice?

Thanks for any input!

2. ClickerChick

The baby in the egg died. I kind of expected it to. :(

3. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    oh I'm sooo sorry [​IMG]

4. ClickerChick

There was a main vein going through the middle and it stopped pumping blood through it. I think I must have accidentally severed it when cracking open the egg.

5. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    I am so sorry ur baby died

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by