Oops! Egg laying woes..

Lady Lionheart

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
This morning when I went to let my ladies out of the coop and clean up, I found two eggs under the roosts. One being white(has to be one of my two Blue Andalusians) was a first egg. So it's understandable that it came weird. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon. But the other is a soft shell. This could also be a first egg. I have four younger ladies. 22 weeks old. A few of them started squatting last week. I feed a 20% all flock feed and provide oyster shell and grit in separate containers. The shells of my older ladies have been perfectly hard. I've seen them eating the oyster shell. I've never seen my littles eating it. They do get bullied from my bigs a bit. My questions: Do I need to worry about the layer of the soft egg? And should I switch them to a layer feed? I would prefer not to, but will if that is the advice. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post! By the way, I'll not be eating the white egg because it was covered in poop.
5BEED722-F855-4EF3-A4B9-CDD2671EC442.jpeg

This morning when I went to let my ladies out of the coop and clean up, I found two eggs under the roosts. One being white(has to be one of my two Blue Andalusians) was a first egg. So it's understandable that it came weird. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it soon. But the other is a soft shell. This could also be a first egg. I have four younger ladies. 22 weeks old. A few of them started squatting last week. I feed a 20% all flock feed and provide oyster shell and grit in separate containers. The shells of my older ladies have been perfectly hard. I've seen them eating the oyster shell. I've never seen my littles eating it. They do get bullied from my bigs a bit. My questions: Do I need to worry about the layer of the soft egg? And should I switch them to a layer feed? I would prefer not to, but will if that is the advice. Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post! By the way, I'll not be eating the white egg because it was covered in poop.View attachment 1643607
It you think it's a first egg from someone it might be malformed. Their egg laying apparatus is gearing up to make eggs. Some times it takes more than one try. I remember the first time I made a cake from scratch. I was about 13 put waaaay too much milk in it so my sister said we'll add more flour and it tasted like paste. LOL. Now I can make a cake without a recipe. So give them time they'll get it right.

Also, I put a small amount of OS right on my chickens food then I know they are getting it. Also, smash your used egg shells, put them on a pizza pan in the oven 350F and dry them out for about 5-10 minutes. Ya have to be careful they don't burn so keep an eye on them and you'll know when they are "done". Then I smash them smaller and put them on feed. Good source of Ca++.

My questions: Do I need to worry about the layer of the soft egg? And should I switch them to a layer feed?
No and No.

I also feed an all flock. This is what I did with my last batch of pullets as I didn't think they were 'getting' the OS.
I added another OS 'feeder' and also sprinkled some OS out with their scratch grains in the mornings a couple of times a week. They eventually figured it out...at least I assume they did as the OS is being consumed, tho not witnessed, and pullets eggs shells are good and hard.

Soft shells from new layers are not uncommon int he first week or so.
Stress from the 'hen power' can also have an effect.
Both should fade away as the pullets get their gear in order.
Can take up to a month or so for 'new laying' issues to resolve.

D84162BC-F8AD-40DC-96F0-21C7B2C96758.jpeg
Update: So yesterday morning, there’s was a broken egg underneath the roost, but it wasn’t a soft shell. It was thin, but I figured the extra oyster shell and baked egg shells were starting to work. This morning I found this. Any ideas? I thought soft shelled fart egg, but I’m really not sure.

Edited to tag @aart

Last edited:
View attachment 1646413 Update: So yesterday morning, there’s was a broken egg underneath the roost, but it wasn’t a soft shell. It was thin, but I figured the extra oyster shell and baked egg shells were starting to work. This morning I found this. Any ideas? I thought soft shelled fart egg, but I’m really not sure.

Edited to tag @aart
I got this egg a few months ago. Yours is much smaller than the one I got. Normal eggs after that!

Attachments

• Another strange egg.JPG
    Another strange egg.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom