Oops, gave the wrong rat to the snake...

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Well, yesterday was feeding day, and I managed to miss it, so I had to feed the snakes today. I pulled out three young male rats to feed (unfortunately, I have been very unsuccessful in switching them to f/t). I made sure that I didn't grab the little male that hubby likes, but, being an idiot, I fed off an interesting male that had a nice belly spot (he was a hood), that I was planning to breed to see if I could produce something like a "down under". Oops.
hmm.png
At least he went to my favorite gal, the little girl who I have been having a hard time getting to eat. Maybe she just likes the "favorites", lol.

Lol. Well, to be honest, it's probably for the better that I goofed. I have a litter now of blue rexes with facial blazes, and I've been playing with a few of them quite a bit, plus the ones that hubby picked out and the others that I already planned on keeping, lol. I have a corn snake and three balls, I don't need 15 breeder rats, ESPECIALLY considering that I'm planning on switching over to feeding quail, lmao.

It depends really. I try to ignore the feeders and only pick out certain ones to socialize. I have one girl who is like the rat from hell. She literally scares me. She's the type of rat that doesn't bite, but instead lunges and literally stabs her lower teeth into you and makes you bleed like crazy. She'll be the first to go, but, she's an excellent breeder and produces such great and gentle offspring. I guess her evil is so strong that it gets cancelled out in her offspring, lol. The other ones, well, like I said, I try to ignore them if I don't plan on keeping them. But, I am with you, the mice are so much easier to feed off. They're so skittish and unfriendly that you don't feel as guilty.

Have you tried feeding stunned prey. I find switching from live, to stunned, to fresh killed, and then to frozen for about an hour and then to f/t is the best way to move them to frozen. Also sometimes chicken broth can be used to entice them to eat.

I have 2 red tails and 2 balls plus have helped many people with their snakes.

I also plan to switch to quail. Quail for everyone, dogs, cats, and snakes. lol

I tried prescenting the room (with the f/t prey item, a live rat and with a prekilled, all at different times), tried wiggling the prey, tried heating the heads of the prey and a few other methods (can't remember off the top of my head). I haven't tried broth or laying open brain tissue (and that one I won't). Stunned prey, eh, I can't bring myself to do this one either.
hmm.png
I know, I'm putting my own emotions before the animals' needs, but, eh, I just can't do it, period. Actually, I wonder if I could knock them out with co2 for this? I just wouldn't be able to whack them on the head or anything violent like that.

Back
Top Bottom