Oops I bought hay instead of straw or shavings. Chuck it or use it up?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Jun 23, 2011.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi there. I have three ducks and three chickens sharing a house at the moment. I purchased Hay as bedding believing I had read somewhere that hay was the way to go. I understand Hay is not the best thing now. Should I use up the Hay or get rid of it and get pine shavings or other suitable bedding?

2. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I would use it up. When you decide to clean your coop, which probably would be a while, then I would change it to either straw or shavings. It doesn't pay to waste what you already have.

3. Kimmiejean

Kimmiejean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Quote:X 2

4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I us pine shavigs, just whats wrong with using hay?

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    They will eat it. Save it and give it to them as a treat.

6. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:Well, I'm super new to this but from what I understand it can go moldy, also the ducks eat it, which means they can't be left without water in the night. Also the ducks are super messy creatures so they get water everywhere and I worry it's just going to help the hay go moldy quicker. I want to use the deep litter method of coop management and I'm not sure Hay is the best for that. I wonder if a mix of hay and straw would be better...but I'm not sure. I'd hate for the ducks or chickens to get ill because I was remiss with this. I've been turning the hay every day to help it dry out, get some air to it to hopefully prevent mold.

7. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Quote:We raised Show Call Ducks for years and always used good clean hay

Now we have Silkie Chickens and do the same. We tried Straw...to course and not suitable for us. Regards, Aria

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, I'm super new to this but from what I understand it can go moldy, also the ducks eat it, which means they can't be left without water in the night. Also the ducks are super messy creatures so they get water everywhere and I worry it's just going to help the hay go moldy quicker. I want to use the deep litter method of coop management and I'm not sure Hay is the best for that. I wonder if a mix of hay and straw would be better...but I'm not sure. I'd hate for the ducks or chickens to get ill because I was remiss with this. I've been turning the hay every day to help it dry out, get some air to it to hopefully prevent mold.

You should have water available to birds at ALL times so if you are locking your birds up at night and insist on using a deep absorbant litter try this....Set a large shallow pan direct on the floor of the coop (at least 24" diameter, something like an old metal oil pan or feed pan), lay a ridged wire or grate over it and set the fount, not a open bowl or pan, on top. The grate will give the birds something to stand on and the pan will catch most of the slopped out water, keeping the litter dry.

As to mold, yes, hay and straw mold as will chips (they all absorb moisture) but if you have plenty of ventilation this will help. Personally, this is why I use sand when possible, it doesn't absorb, it cleans easy, and it's cheap.

Duck are messy but it's because they poo all the time not more heavily at night while roosting like chickens

9. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Got a garden? It makes great mulch.

I used straw for a couple weeks when I first got my cheeps cuz I couldn't find pine shavings, but I really prefer the shavings for moisture and stink control. It just dries things out faster than straw. I don't have ducks, but my cheeps didn't seem to have any problem with the alfalfa... [​IMG]

I have a bale of straw in the run that the girls love as a perch. I sprinkle a little DE on the poops every few days, turn the bale 1/4, and the poops fall off...

10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:You can use hay, I do. I also use pine shavings. Nothing wrong with using hay at all. They can eat the seeds from it and they can eat the hay as well. It can just be a little more expensive then straw. The only difference with putting fresh hay in your garden is that the seeds will grow. You don't have that problem as much with straw. Use what ever floats your boat..... it's all good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by