OOPS! I broke a piece of my bator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CANDLE98, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    How do I glue styrofoam back together? Me and my clumsyness!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Use something water-based. Other glues will melt the styrofoam.

3. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Yeah I have tried to glue styrofoam before and yeah it doesn't work. I was just seeing if anyone knew of a certain brand

4. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

3m weather striping glue might work but ist yellow. or just plain clear silicone

5. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I would try the glue used for sealing fish tanks.. But I would try it on a styrofoam cooler of other non important styrofoam thing, to make sure it doesnt melt it.. I havent tryed it.. But thought it might be of thought.. After about a week of airing out it is safe for fish and animals.. And it is water proof.. But that is only if it will not melt it..

6. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I run into gluing styrofoam all the time with model railroading. Don't use anything that is in an aerosol container unless it says specifically for foam. The accelerant in the can will melt the styrofoam. Not to mention that the aerosol type will go everywhere not just where you are trying to glue. If you look at your home improvement store you will find adhesives designed for foam. They come in containers that look like caulking and can be bought in tubes used in a caulk gun or in a squeezable tube. It is used to glue the foam insulation in the construction field. I've used it on all types of foam (extruded foam and the white bead type) an have not had it melt any of it. It should be fine for a bator.

Let it dry for quite a while before using it again to make sure it is fully cured and the fumes are no longer present. Not to mention that you are going to bring it up to 100 degrees again.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    How about silicone caulk reinforced with duct tape?

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Duct tape doesn't hold up well in the heat and humidity. Usually leaves a worse mess.

9. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Thanks a lot guys! I will run down to ACE here in the next couple of days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by