oops, I just deeply disturbed my daughter.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emjay, Jul 8, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    so, my hen went broody for the second time this year. was broody in March as well.

I moved her tonite to seperate quarters, I had some eggs collected for her, so that they all hatched the same time.
    when I picked her up, she was on 6 eggs.
    I asked my daughter if she wanted to see what an egg looked like at two days , almost three in development.

so we cracked one open. My 8 year old daughter asked what that was moving.

EEEK, do they really have a heartbeat at that stage???

never again, will we do this.
    my daughter is mortified.

I feel terrible.

2. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    I believe after 48 hours they do!

3. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Yes, at the time of conception, every living animal has a heart beat. Perhaps you can turn it into a positive teaching about "life" for your daughter. She has gotten see what a lot of others will not see. Don't feel bad for what you did not know.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
  5. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I told my daughter this was a neat lesson, as sad as it was, she learned something. I also explained to her that it didn't have feelings yet, and that it didn't feel anything. It is something that some kids will never see and alot of adults. This was a first time for me. I never knew, it is amazing.
    I was prepared for the spider veins. My daughter was the one who noticed the pin size heart beat.
    I told her it was a neat thing to see, once. But, we won't do again.

I'd love to know how to candle, however, FLoppy is very very angry when brooding. you must be very very fast.

6. Mama C

Mama C Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    You are one fast thinking Mom! I know several people who would have lied, distracted or changed the subject all together just to avoid being uncomfortable. You were honest, giving your daughter a very important life lesson that will probably stick with her forever. That’s really, really cool!

Seeing as how the animals we tend to be more familiar with don’t develop a heartbeat until later (In cats and dogs it is closer to 3 weeks. Bonus Fun fact: In elephants it’s around day 80!) anyone in your same situation would assume the heartbeat came later.

Who knows? Maybe this will inspire a love of biology with your daughter. Mine is only 5 and she can’t get enough science!

7. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Good job. [​IMG] my mom was candling eggs when i was little and dropped one. She said it was dead anyway, but i could look at it. Then it moved a little and she said something along the lines of 'sh8t its alive!' i think i was 7, but i got over it fine, as far as i can tell. She felt so bad.

8. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    thanks MamaC, she is a science, rock, gem etc nut already. so this is good. she is more the wiser. She loves to do science experiments as well.
    interesting facts as well, creation of new life is always so fascinating.

laceynoelle, it is good to know you got over it, haha. I think my daughter will too, but, the look on her face, that will stay forever.

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes the strangest things impact a kid for life...but that does not mean they are 'bad' things.

I adopted a little dog 13 years ago from the pound that turned out to be seriously sick, and had to be put down.
    Not being able to do this myself...take her to the vet...I called my grown daughter, who came with her five year old.
    I didn't think this was a good field trip for a kid, but I am not that kid's mother, I'm her grandmother.

Off we all went to the vet...where my daughter explained to her daughter how sick the dog was, that it could not be treated, and that since we loved it, we were going to do the right thing and have it 'put to sleep' then she let the kid stay there while the vet accomplished this. I thought that was way too much information for a five year old but...

That grandkid is now 18 and starts college next month with dual degrees in biology and chemistry and upon graduation she hopes to enter vet school.
    Turns out her mother was totally right...and that was not the only thing she was and is totally right about. This was not an instant choice on her part...she has planned on being a vet for eight years now.

10. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    so true MinisbeesKnees. and good story, as sad as it started.

I told my daughter that it was great to educate herself on all aspects of life. I think too often we shelter our children from some realities , which in turn make them grow up into more compassionate, well rounded adults, like in your case.
    What a great vet she will make !!!!

I think my daughter will grow up to with the same drive.

however, she is yet to get over losing our dog two Febs ago. She won't talk about him, but, leaves notes everywhere about how she misses him and wants to bring him back to life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by