oops, I messed up, re: pecking peeps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyLuck, Mar 21, 2012.

1. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    got the peeps today, they all seemed fine until I got all mother-henish. I came home this evening and of course went to check them and saw one that looked a little red spot, freaked out and decided I'd put neosporin on it. Realized after I dabbed the q-tip that the skin was NOT broken, however, now...the little down is all glued down and it looks huge and red... a great target.

I tried to dry it off and refluff it so it doesn't show, but it shows. I put a box in the brooder to separate her, but she kept jumping out, three boxes later she was trying to jump/fly out and was peeping miserably, so I put her in with the others.

It's 10:30 at night here,,, no way to go get a red bulb or the blue salve. however, I'm creative, so help me figure out something to keep her safe until morning?

I'd rig up a bandana (the spot is her shoulder) but i'm afraid she's too tiny and I'd tie it too lose for fear of choking her and then it would do more harm than good. I do have a thought of dabbing her red spot with blue food coloring? I don't have anything else, would that work?

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Lol sounds like something I would do! Can you use a little baby powder, is that safe for them?

3. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    ended up painting her spot with blue food dye, seems to have worked, she's fine this morning and no one is picking on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by