1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oops! I think I made a bad move!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackpot, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Quackpot

Quackpot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Silver City, New Mexico
    I have a Mallard I want to release. She is trying to fly inside the pen, and is bent on getting out. A friend gave me three ducks they did not want anymore, and it's not a happy scene at my house!

I will be moving at least two of the new ones out this week, and releasing the Mallard at a friend's farm. One is the mother of my big duck, Bert.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Big Bert is not a happy camper... Not at all... One of the speckled ducks is his mother, and the big white duck is his dad.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Releasing the mallard, unless you have trained it to survive on its own, is not a good thing. While it may seem desperate to get out, if it does not know how to feed itself, I am concerned it will go hungry.

I don't doubt you care very much, but this is a sticky situation.

3. Quackpot

Quackpot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Silver City, New Mexico
    Hmmm... My friend's place is a large farm. She has both domestic and wild ducks at her place. They do not hurt ducks there.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In your case, it may work out okay . . . hard to say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by