Oops! Is there any saving it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mtnkids, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    I was getting ready to toss overdue eggs from my bator. Most of them were deceased, then I opened up a cochin egg (I just wanted to double check them to see where I lost them is why I was opening them at all) and it is still alive. The top of the shell is mostly off but the white membrane is intact. What should I do?

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG, i don't know how to deal with it, i hope someone gonna quickly post a help for you.

good luck.

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I did the same thing with my last hatch. How far past due is it? Do you still see veins in the white membrane? Try to keep the membrane moist. Damp paper towel or tissue should help.

If you DO NOT see veins in the membrane use a blunt pair of tweezers and make a hole in the membrane then put back in the bator to see if the chick will hatch itself out. After an hour or two if the chick hasn't done anything I would start working slowly on the shell and membrane but ONLY if there is not any blood. If there is blood it isn't ready to hatch yet. If you see blood STOP immediately!

4. mtnkids

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Thanks all. I got some advice to moisten the membrane and did so. When I moistened it, I could see the veins through there and it does not look ready to hatch. I am going to try to just keep humidity up and temps stable for now... not sure what else to do for him poor thing.

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Good luck!

6. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] Good luck

7. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    How over due is it?

8. mtnkids

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Well I thought they were on day 25, (I had buff orpingtons that were) but this is one of the cochin eggs thats just starting day 22 so not too overdue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by