OOPS! Is this a disaster?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coloradowildflower, Mar 20, 2017.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    I just re-read hatching 101 for the thousanth time and saw, to my chagrin, that I had missed the part that says the eggs should be touching each other in order to coordinate the hatch! I had spaced them out a bit so they'd have a place to rest without disturbing thier hatchmates. I'm on day 18. Should I open the bator and reposition the eggs or have any of you had success with eggs that are not touching?

2. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    I have never heard of eggs having too touch in fact for the people who hatch one fertilized egg at a time, which in my opinion is crazy, I dont think that eggs require that and also with automatic egg turners and egg holders in the cool brinsea incubators or cool customizations for your incubator the eggs dont touch at all honestly I wouldn't worry at all, you are doing just fine

3. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks, Lilaby! Can you tell I'm a first-time hatcher?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The eggs definitely don't require the need to be touching at hatchtime. Actually I prefer mine to have some space so that they can push out easier. That idea is based on the thought of movement from the eggs will motivate the others. Just their peeping and the movement in the bator will be motivation for the other chicks. And even if they didn't have any other chicks in there, they would hatch when they are ready.

5. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    Hahaha, considering You read hatching 101 a thousand times you have that beginner anxiety, My first hatch was two weeks ago and it went well, I was surprised because with all my mistakes I happened to get all the fertile eggs to hatch. With temp fluctuations and putting in cracked eggs I was greatly pleased that I got what I wanted. Also cracked eggs can hatch just make sure if you see them oozing you take them out or they will explode and you might wanna seal them, I didnt but people say you should. My first hatch literally gave me a panic attack but I didn't have to worry at all , what I'm saying is if your worried one of your eggs is dead or if they have or havent pipped internally try to keep your hands off the eggs as much as possible, it doesnt help you to know the answer to it, and it can cause harm to em. Even though I made that mistake as well, tehe im a lucky duck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by