Oops, my intestines fell out. I lived!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by clyphelia, Jan 25, 2016.

1. clyphelia

clyphelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2016
    The hubby and I just hatched our first eggs in an incubator about two weeks ago. One little guy pipped the full circle of his egg, but then just sat there instead of coming out. We gave him several hours but he wasn't coming out! We popped the top off and discovered that his wing had been shrink wrapped onto his head and he couldn't move! We *carefully* misted the membrane to loosen it and help him out of the egg so he wouldn't die like that.
    He came out with a little bit of yolk left on his butt, but that's pretty normal so we left him running around the incubator. Two hours later, we checked the incubator and discovered that his entire yolk sack had fallen out! We removed all other hatched chicks and put him on a moist paper towel in the incubator in the hopes that it would absorb, but we were losing hope in the poor baby, but he was still perky as you could want. We checked an hour later and found some intestines hanging out now.
    We did a little research and decided it was time for some surgery. We tied off the sack where it met the guts with unwaxed dental floss, then snipped the sack off. No bleeding! After a few minutes for the suture to clot, we removed the floss. Still no bleeding from that! We sanitized a q-tip and gently shoved the inch of guts hanging out back into his belly. This was pretty difficult and nerve-wracking, but we did it by gently forcing one section of guts in at a time. We finally got it all inside after about 30 minutes. Every time he would peep, it put pressure on the wound and wanted to push out again, so hubby held everything in with the q-tip while I tried to figure out how to seal the wound. We decided on super glue! A big glob went on and thankfully, he didn't force anything out before it dried.
    Surgery was finished, and now it was up to the baby to survive. He had always been really perky, but you could tell at this point he didn't feel great. He lost a bit of blood and obviously didn't get his yolk! We put him in solitary confinement with a soft inanimate buddy and forced sugar water into him fairly often for the next day. He was droopy for the first day or so, but he perked up pretty quickly and was eating and drinking fine before too long!
    Two weeks later, he is doing great! The super glue cast came off with a little scab after a week. There was a bit of bruising on his belly that lingered as well. And his down took quite some time to fluff up after the shrink wrapping and glue treatment. He is a little skinnier and more nervous than his siblings, but is growing and developing normally!

Just wanted to share this success story in case anyone encounters this issue and doesn't know what to do! We never thought this chick could live and found so many stories and suggestions about what to do, so I hope this helps someone!

[​IMG]
    Our little gut buster Heebie GB

2. melnjerm

melnjerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2015
    San Diego (Escondido)
    That is a crazy and amazing story!! Congratulations on your successful surgery and keeping your little guy alive! Love the name, by the way!

3. clyphelia

Jan 23, 2016
    4 weeks old and doing awesome! So excited this little fighter made it.

[​IMG]

Anyone want to guess the gender on Heebie? I'm thinking boy but I can't tell with these pea combs.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Glad he's doing well, could we get a frontal pic of his comb? Looking like he's an EE or Ameraucana? If there's 3 rows on peas, I'd say boy.

5. clyphelia

Jan 23, 2016
    His feather coloration is so splotchy and messy, but he's pretty cute. I want him to be a girl!!

[​IMG]

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I suspect Cockerel, sorry but I could be wrong......Post pics again at 8wks.....Hope I'm wrong. I know that "I want it to be a pullet" feeling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by